Dr. Gabor Maté (@DrGaborMate) is a renowned speaker and bestselling author that is highly sought after for his expertise on a range of topics including addiction, stress and childhood development.
Today we’re focusing in on his book, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts and addiction.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is an addiction?
- The behaviour of addiction
- Why trauma needs to be explored
- The 3 circuits that affect brain development
- Gabor discusses his ADD diagnosis
- ADD is a risk factor for addictions
- Gabor’s classical music shopping addiction
- Why some people become addicted
- Eating disorders & the relationship with food
- This society feeds addiction
- The negative impact of social media
- Community is a human need
- Conventional treatment of addicts
- Gabor’s approach to addiction treatment
- Treatment has to address trauma
- The use of psychedelics
- The brain can change
- The role of family support
- Recognizing an addict
- Genetics and addiction
- Practice mindfulness
- The difference between addiction and passion
Four Sigmatic <== 15% off all Four Sigmatic products (free shipping on orders $100 or more)
Thrive Market <== Get your membership for as low as $5 a month & receive $20 in shopping credit with a 1 year membership (US only)
CoreChair <== 15% off your CoreChair purchase by using the code tuhpcc at checkout (free shipping in North America)
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Dr. Gabor Maté – In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts (book)
Dr. Gabor Maté’s website
Follow Dr. Gabor Maté on Facebook and YouTube
Dr. Gabor Maté – Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates (book)
229: Melissa Hartwig – The Whole30 Origin Story
227: Andy Couturier – The Abundance Of Less • Enjoying The Process • Thinking For Yourself
186: Nick Ortner – Your Greatest Self Doesn’t Equal Perfection • What Does Tapping Look Like? • Common Energy Leaks
132: Ryan Nicodemus – The Minimalists • Gift Giving… The Healthy Way • Give Yourself A Pay Raise By Spending Less
099: Dr. Jeffrey Eisenberg – Suckered: The History Of Sugar, Our Toxic Addiction, Our Power To Change
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.