Ryan Nicodemus is the more social half of The Minimalists and his deepest passion is mentoring other people.
After making it in the corporate world, he was living the American Dream… until he got laid off. This ended up being one of the best things that ever happened to Ryan.
A packing party in 2010 began his minimalist journey.
The Minimalists help people live more meaningful lives with less through their website, books, podcast, and documentary. They’ve been featured on: ABC, New York Times, TIME, and many more.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is minimalism?
- Ryan’s journey into the minimalist lifestyle
- Getting rid of your stuff doesn’t make you happy, automatically
- The origin story of The Minimalists
- Your identity can get wrapped up in your stuff
- The just incase rule
- The memories are not in things, they are inside of us
- Holding on to too much stuff dilutes the meaning of everything
- Why your life may be better with less stuff
- Give yourself a pay raise by spending less
- The more debt we have, the less time we have
- Living off a barista’s salary
- The average American sees around 5000 advertisements a day
- Gift giving… the healthy way
- Presence is the best present
- Living more minimalistic… how to get started
- Deciding what to keep and what to part with
- The dangerous side of organizing
- Love people and use things because the opposite never works
- The importance of daily exercise
- Spending your time with the right people
CoreChair <== 15% off your CoreChair purchase by using the code tuhpcc at checkout (free shipping in North America)
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Follow TUHP on Instagram
Join our Facebook Community
The Minimalists’ website
Follow The Minimalists on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Minimilism: A Documentary About the Important Things
Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus – Essential: Essays by The Minimalists (book)
Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus – Everything That Remains: A Memoir by The Minimalists (book)
Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus – Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life (book)
The Minimalists Podcast
Dave Ramsey – The Total Money Makeover (book)
Joshua Fields Millburn – The Minimalists
Colin Wright – Exile Lifestyle
Courtney Carver (books)
Joshua Becker (books)
Leo Babauta (books)
Marie Kondo (books)
286: Cal Newport – Digital Minimalism • Create Time For Solitude • Stop Socializing On Social Media
268: Sarah Wilson – Zero Waste Cooking • Minimal Consumption • Start Thinking Differently
227: Andy Couturier – The Abundance Of Less • Enjoying The Process • Thinking For Yourself
131: James Altucher – It’s Time To Choose Yourself • Exercise Your Idea Muscle • The Power Of No
064: Katy Bowman – Katy Says… Minimize Your Footwear, Embrace Calluses, Ditch The Furniture
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.