Melissa Hartwig (@melissa_hartwig) is a four-time New York Times bestselling author and co-creator of the original Whole30 program. She’s a Certified Sports Nutritionist who specializes in helping people change their relationship with food and create life-long, healthy habits.
Melissa enjoys kettlebell training, yoga, hiking, solo traveling, and riding her motorcycle. She lives in Salt Lake City, UT.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Escaping from her life with drugs
- The gym kinda saved Melissa’s life
- Blogging… the early years
- Whole30’s origin story
- Using food like a drug
- Do you have an emotional relationship with food?
- What makes Whole30 different from other dietary approaches?
- Not combining Whole30 approved ingredients to make hyperpalatable foods
- The organic growth of the Whole30 community
- The most important part of Melissa’s job
- Having a vision from the very beginning
- Foods to avoid on Whole30
- Whole30 teaches you what foods work for you… on an individual basis
- The Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) vs. Whole30
- Melissa hikes more than anybody she knows
- Are you “paying yourself” first?
- Don’t get stuck on the saddest ferris wheel, of all time
- Teaming up to do Whole30 with family or other groups
- Are you hanging out with the right people?
- How to make new connections as a grown up
Thrive Market <== Get your membership for as low as $5 a month & receive $20 in shopping credit with a 1 year membership (US only)
Raw Elements <== 10% off all Raw Elements products – Apply the code TUHP at checkout (free shipping over $100)
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products and they ship worldwide (free shipping in the US)
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig – The Whole30 (book)
Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig – It Starts With Food (book)
Melissa Hartwig – Food Freedom Forever (book)
Melissa Hartwig – The Whole30 Cookbook
Melissa Hartwig – The Whole30 Fast & Easy Cookbook
Melissa Hartwig – The Whole30 Day by Day (book)
Follow Melissa on Instagram
The 44-year-old co-founder of cult diet Whole30 was once a drug addict — here’s how she found huge success (CNBC blog post)
Listen to Gretchen Rubin previously on TUHP (episode #207 & #37)
Listen to Robb Wolf previously on TUHP (episode #145)
319: Eric Zimmer – Overcoming Addiction, Maintaining Community, Broadening Your Perspective
317: Dr. Will Cole – The Inflammation Spectrum, Managing Anxiety, Homeschooling
285: Dr. Izabella Wentz – Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology • Thyroid Testing • Stress, Trauma & Autoimmune Conditions
259: Dr. Gabor Maté – Trauma, Addiction, & The Use Of Psychedelics
178: Mark Sisson – Ketosis Curbs Hunger • The Healthiest Oil • Reboot Your Metabolism
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.