Melissa Hartwig (@melissa_hartwig) is a four-time New York Times bestselling author and co-creator of the original Whole30 program. She’s a Certified Sports Nutritionist who specializes in helping people change their relationship with food and create life-long, healthy habits.
Melissa enjoys kettlebell training, yoga, hiking, solo traveling, and riding her motorcycle. She lives in Salt Lake City, UT.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Escaping from her life with drugs
- The gym kinda saved Melissa’s life
- Blogging… the early years
- Whole30’s origin story
- Using food like a drug
- Do you have an emotional relationship with food?
- What makes Whole30 different from other dietary approaches?
- Not combining Whole30 approved ingredients to make hyperpalatable foods
- The organic growth of the Whole30 community
- The most important part of Melissa’s job
- Having a vision from the very beginning
- Foods to avoid on Whole30
- Whole30 teaches you what foods work for you… on an individual basis
- The Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) vs. Whole30
- Melissa hikes more than anybody she knows
- Are you “paying yourself” first?
- Don’t get stuck on the saddest ferris wheel, of all time
- Teaming up to do Whole30 with family or other groups
- Are you hanging out with the right people?
- How to make new connections as a grown up
Thrive Market <== As a new customer you get a free 30-day membership, 25% off your order, and free shipping (US only)*
Raw Elements <== 10% off all Raw Elements products – Apply the code TUHP at checkout (free shipping over $100)
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products and they ship worldwide (free shipping in the US)*
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $100
Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig – The Whole30 (book)*
Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig – It Starts With Food (book)*
Melissa Hartwig – Food Freedom Forever (book)*
Melissa Hartwig – The Whole30 Cookbook*
Melissa Hartwig – The Whole30 Fast & Easy Cookbook*
Melissa Hartwig – The Whole30 Day by Day (book)*
Follow Melissa on Instagram
The 44-year-old co-founder of cult diet Whole30 was once a drug addict — here’s how she found huge success (CNBC blog post)
Listen to Gretchen Rubin previously on TUHP (episode #207 & #37)
Listen to Robb Wolf previously on TUHP (episode #145)
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Our favourite social media platform is Instagram. Follow our adventures.
5. Download our Habits app for iOS. You choose the healthy habits you want to implement and maintain and our app will help keep you on track. Download Habits app*.
6. Share using the buttons below.