This week our featured guest is Dr. Kelly Brogan, a Manhattan-based holistic women’s health psychiatrist and New York Times Bestselling author of A Mind of Your Own.
Kelly completed her psychiatric training and fellowship at NYU Medical Center after graduating from Cornell University Medical College, and has a B.S. from MIT in Systems Neuroscience. She is all about getting to root-cause of psychiatric syndromes and symptoms.
Kelly is the proud mother of two young girls.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How the conventional medical community responded to her new book, A Mind of Your Own
- Getting shunned by mainstream media
- Depression is the number one cause of disability in the world
- Long-term treatments with antidepressants result in worse outcomes than no treatment at all
- Getting diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease and naturally putting it into remission
- Hashimoto’s symptoms are very similar to major depression
- Wheat (gluten) and dairy (casein) may be having a negative effect on your mental health
- Wheat in North America (frankenwheat) vs. European wheat
- Sugar burns like paper vs. fat burns like a log
- Psychiatric patients need to be concerned about thyroid function
- Research is around 20 years ahead of what doctors are doing
- Depression isn’t caused by a chemical imbalance
- Inflammation is at the root of depression
- The evolutionary purpose of depression
- SSRIs are being used for a myriad of very different conditions
- Birth control, statin drugs, acid blocking medications, and tylenol commonly cause psychiatric side effects
- The disabling withdrawal syndromes associated with SSRIs
- Gut health impacts brain health
- The diet Kelly recommends to her patients
- You have the option of changing your story, daily
Links to things we mentioned:
Dr. Kelly Brogan – A Mind of Your Own (book)*
Dr. Kelly Brogan’s website
Robert Whitaker – Anatomy of an Epidemic (book)*
SSRI Stories – Antidepressant Nightmares
Previously on TUHP – Setting Healthy Intentions For 2016 (Better Late Than Never) (Episode #81)
HealthForce Vitamineral Green*
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free shipping over $100)*
Join TUHP Facebook group
Add us on Snapchat
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast.
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later.
3. Share using the buttons below.