This week our featured guest is Dr. Kelly Brogan, a Manhattan-based holistic women’s health psychiatrist and New York Times Bestselling author of A Mind of Your Own.
Kelly completed her psychiatric training and fellowship at NYU Medical Center after graduating from Cornell University Medical College, and has a B.S. from MIT in Systems Neuroscience. She is all about getting to root-cause of psychiatric syndromes and symptoms.
Kelly is the proud mother of two young girls.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How the conventional medical community responded to her new book, A Mind of Your Own
- Getting shunned by mainstream media
- Depression is the number one cause of disability in the world
- Long-term treatments with antidepressants result in worse outcomes than no treatment at all
- Getting diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease and naturally putting it into remission
- Hashimoto’s symptoms are very similar to major depression
- Wheat (gluten) and dairy (casein) may be having a negative effect on your mental health
- Wheat in North America (frankenwheat) vs. European wheat
- Sugar burns like paper vs. fat burns like a log
- Psychiatric patients need to be concerned about thyroid function
- Research is around 20 years ahead of what doctors are doing
- Depression isn’t caused by a chemical imbalance
- Inflammation is at the root of depression
- The evolutionary purpose of depression
- SSRIs are being used for a myriad of very different conditions
- Birth control, statin drugs, acid blocking medications, and tylenol commonly cause psychiatric side effects
- The disabling withdrawal syndromes associated with SSRIs
- Gut health impacts brain health
- The diet Kelly recommends to her patients
- You have the option of changing your story, daily
Dr. Kelly Brogan – A Mind of Your Own (book)
Dr. Kelly Brogan’s website
Follow Dr. Kelly Brogan on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Robert Whitaker – Anatomy of an Epidemic (book)
SSRI Stories – Antidepressant Nightmares
Listen to “Setting Healthy Intentions for 2016” previously on TUHP (episode #081)
HealthForce Vitamineral Green
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Join TUHP Facebook group
Add us on Snapchat
285: Dr. Izabella Wentz – Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology • Thyroid Testing • Stress, Trauma & Autoimmune Conditions
273: Dr. David Perlmutter – Grain Brain • Cholesterol Is Your Friend • What Is Keto Cycling?
258: Samantha Gladish – Healing Hashimoto’s • Coming Off The Pill • Tracking Your Cycle
256: Dr. Datis Kharrazian – Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? • Understanding Iodine • Vitamin D & Autoimmunity
080: Josh Gitalis – Getting To The Root Of Depression & Anxiety | Protect Your Adrenals With Adaptogenic Herbs | Synthetic vs. Whole Food Supplements
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.