Dr. Datis Kharrazian (@DrKharrazian) is a clinical research scientist, academic professor, and a functional medicine health care provider. He specializes in developing evidence-based models to treat autoimmune, neurological, and unidentified chronic diseases with non-pharmaceutical applications such as diet, nutrition, and lifestyle medicine.
Dr. Kharrazian’s academic and clinical research has been featured in numerous documentaries and his clinical models of functional medicine are used by several academic institutions and thousands of health care providers throughout the world.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The research that led to Dr. Kharrazian writing his first book
- The majority of hypothyroid patients have Hashimoto’s
- How Hashimoto’s attacks the thyroid gland
- Balancing thyroid hormones doesn’t fully address Hashimoto’s
- What is cerebellar ataxia?
- The inspiration behind Dr. Kharrazian’s second book
- Many thyroid patients have brain impairments
- Breaking down TH1 and TH2
- Problems with conventional thyroid testing
- Symptoms of Hashimoto’s
- Finding the right treatment
- How lifestyle factors impact Hashimoto’s
- Gluten is the most common trigger for people with Hashimoto’s
- Infections that can cross-react with the thyroid
- How chemicals can impact thyroid function
- Every patient is uniquely different
- The Autoimmune Protocol (AIP)
- What are goitrogens?
- Why some patients react to proteins
- New research published about cross-reacting food proteins
- Iodine flares up symptoms in patients with Hashimoto’s
- Vitamin D is important for all autoimmune patients
- Addressing the adrenals
- The role of adaptogens
- The benefits of hydrochloric acid (HCl) & digestive enzymes
Four Sigmatic <== 15% off all Four Sigmatic products (free shipping on orders $100 or more)
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Thrive Market <== Get your membership for as low as $5 a month & receive $20 in shopping credit with a 1 year membership (US only)
Dr. Datis Kharrazian – Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal (book)
Dr. Datis Kharrazian’s website
Follow Dr.Datis Kharrazian on Facebook, and Twitter
Dr. Datis Kharrazian – Why Isn’t My Brain Working (book)
Immunological Reactivity Using Monoclonal and Polyclonal Antibodies of Autoimmune Thyroid Target Sites with Dietary Proteins. (PubMed)
Which thyroid hormone is right for you? (Dr. K. News)
New food sensitivity issues on AIP? The oral tolerance protocol (Dr. K. News)
Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s (Marni & Samantha’s Online Course)
267: Dr. Datis Kharrazian – Why Isn’t My Brain Working?
254: Sarah Ballantyne – Pregnancy And Hypothyroidism • Reintroductions On AIP • The Cruciferous Vegetable Myth
228: Focus Friday – Healing And Dealing With Hashimoto’s
156: Elle Russ – Reclaim Your Thyroid Health
119: Dr. Amy Myers – The Thyroid Connection • The Impact of Goitrogens • Hyper vs Hypothyroidism
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.