Elizabeth Willard Thames, better known as Mrs. Frugalwoods (IG: @frugalwoods), is the creator of the award-winning personal finance blog, Frugalwoods.com. In 2016, at age 32, she reached financial independence and left a successful career in Boston to create a more meaningful, purpose-driven life on a 66-acre homestead in the woods of Vermont with her husband and their two young daughters.
Liz is the author of Meet The Frugalwoods: Achieving Financial Independence Through Simple Living. She’s been featured on The Today Show, PBS, NPR, in the New York Times, Forbes, Parents Magazine, and more.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The name Frugalwoods – where it came from & what it means
- What is frugality?
- Growing up in a frugal family
- Living simply
- The evolution of Liz & Nate’s relationship
- Living on a homestead
- How to reach financial independence
- Why you need an emergency fund
- The Uber Frugal Month Challenge
- Start investing now
- What are total market index funds?
- Make sure you hire a fiduciary
- Liz’s financial book recommendations
- The process of investing
- Your money is your personal business
- Connecting to your goals
- Creative ways to slash your budget
- Barter & trade to save money
- Embrace imperfection
- How Liz spent only $20 preparing her baby nursery
- Hand me downs = money saved
- Being frugal is a lifestyle
- Frugality vs. minimalism
- Daily life on a 66-acre homestead
- Connecting in your community
- Save now and reap the rewards long term
Vuori Clothing <== 20% off your first Vuori order
Thrive Market <== As a new customer you get a free 30-day membership, 25% off your order, and free shipping (US only)
Four Sigmatic <== 15% off all Four Sigmatic products (free shipping on orders $100 or more)
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
Elizabeth Willard Thames – Meet The Frugalwoods (book)
Elizabeth Willard Thames’ website (Frugalwoods)
Follow the Frugalwoods on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Uber Frugal Month Challenge
J L Collins – The Simple Path to Wealth (book)
Erin Lowry – Broke Millennial (book)
Erin Lowry – Broke Millennial Takes On Investing (book)
Vicki Robin – Your Money Or Your Life (book)
Dave Ramsey (books)
Mr. Money Mustache
Ramit Sethi – I Will Teach You To Be Rich (book)
268: Sarah Wilson – Zero Waste Cooking • Minimal Consumption • Start Thinking Differently
227: Andy Couturier – The Abundance Of Less • Enjoying The Process • Thinking For Yourself
149: Jen Sincero – Make Money By Mastering The Mindset Of Wealth
132: Ryan Nicodemus – The Minimalists • Gift Giving… The Healthy Way • Give Yourself A Pay Raise By Spending Less
123: Jonathan Fields – How To Live A Good Life • Breakthroughs Require Uncertainty • Money And Happiness Are Byproducts, Not The Goal
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.