Dr. Drew Ramsey (IG: @drewramseymd) is a psychiatrist, author, and farmer. His work focuses on clinical excellence, nutritional interventions and creative media.
Drew is an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and he has an active telemedicine clinical practice based in New York City.
Today we’re discussing Drew’s latest book, Eat to Beat Depression and Anxiety: Nourish Your Way to Better Mental Health in Six Weeks.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Growing up on a farm taught Drew the importance of nourishing food
- Day to day life living off the land
- Finding space for conventional and non-conventional medicine
- Integrating nourishment as a preventative measure for mental health
- How Drew struggled on a vegetarian diet
- Focusing on foods to help decrease brain shrinkage
- What to expect when you see a nutritional psychiatrist
- Drew’s surprising favourite food
- The emotional complexity of having farm animals
- The goals of Drew’s family farm
- Growing your own food teaches you to value it
- The best foods to eat for anxiety & depression
- How the gut microbiome specifically impacts brain health
- The vagus nerve is a neurological highway between the gut and the brain
- Is serotonin overhyped?
- Why BDNF is important for your mental health
- The 6 nutrients that influence BDNF
- Focusing on foods first and the role of supplements
- The soil crisis
- What Drew eats on a typical day
- Find foods the whole family enjoys eating
- Tips for parents on incorporating brain boosting foods into their kids daily routine
- Forming a food philosophy with your partner
- Bring mindfulness and awareness to food when treating depression
- Factors that cause chronic inflammation
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
Four Sigmatic <== Save up to 40% off Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee bundles
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Dr. Drew Ramsey – Eat To Beat Depression and Anxiety (book)
Dr. Drew Ramsey’s website
Follow Dr. Drew Ramsey on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Dr. Drew Ramsey, Tyler G. Graham – The Happiness Diet (book)
Eat To Beat Depression (e-course)
Dr. Paul Saladino on The Carnivore Code (#400)
371: Autumn Smith – Healing From IBS & Anxiety, Supporting Regenerative Agriculture, Organ Meats To Support Mental Health
365: Dr. Uma Naidoo – This Is Your Brain On Food
289: Dr. David Perlmutter – Brain Maker • Reconnecting With Nature • Exercise Impacts The Microbiome
267: Dr. Datis Kharrazian – Why Isn’t My Brain Working?
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.