She has won the hearts of millions with her simple yet effective strategies to help anyone optimize their lifestyle and win the fight for a strong body, mind, and spirit.
Tana holds a second-degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
Tana and her husband, Dr. Daniel Amen, have four children and five grandchildren.
Today we’re discussing her new book: The Relentless Courage of a Scared Child: How Persistence, Grit, and Faith Created a Reluctant Healer.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How we were all scared children at one time
- The epiphany Tana had working with addicts
- Tana’s first 3 memories as a child
- Growing up in constant chaos
- Tana’s mom always showed she loved her
- Dealing with unwanted attention and bullying during her teen years
- Battling an eating disorder, anxiety, and depression
- Tana was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at age 23
- How Prozac hijacked her brain
- The spiritual walk that lead to Tana’s healing journey
- Responsibility means the ability to respond
- Falling in love with her best friend, Dr. Daniel Amen
- Working with Byron Katie
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy can help with trauma
- Lifestyle factors including food, nutrition, and exercise impact your health
- Be your own best advocate
- Your doctor is not your boss, they are your partner
- Tana’s life-changing journey studying Metabolic Medicine and Functional Medicine
- Implementing the Omni diet at Amen Clinics
- Consciously raising her daughter Chloe in a healthy environment
- The vulnerable truth about writing a memoir
- Processing past trauma through the eyes of an adult
- Helping her half sister and taking custody of her 2 nieces
- Forgiving her dad before he passed away
- The powerful need for forgiveness
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
BiOptimizers <== 10% off all BiOptimizers products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Tana Amen – The Relentless Courage of a Scared Child (book)
Tana Amen’s website
Follow Tana Amen on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Tana Amen – The Omni Diet (book)
Listen to Tana Amen previously on TUHP (episode #063)
Dr. Daniel Amen (books)
Listen to Dr. Daniel Amen previously on TUHP (episodes #333 and #359)
Byron Katie (books)
A4M – The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
The Institute for Functional Medicine
Dr. Mark Hyman (books)
Listen to Dr. Mark Hyman previously on TUHP (episodes #074, #084, and #214)
Dr. David Perlmutter (books)
Listen to Dr. David Perlmutter previously on TUHP (episodes #273, #289, and #332)
365: Dr. Uma Naidoo – This Is Your Brain On Food
322: Christine Hassler – Expectation Hangover, Overachieving & People Pleasing, Overcoming Depression
310: Seane Corn – Revolution Of The Soul, Yoga Is An Art, Understanding The Chakras
285: Dr. Izabella Wentz – Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology • Thyroid Testing • Stress, Trauma & Autoimmune Conditions
259: Dr. Gabor Maté – Trauma, Addiction, & The Use Of Psychedelics
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.