Tal Ben-Shahar (IG: @happiness.studies.academy) obtained his PhD in Organizational Behavior from Harvard and is a bestselling author and lecturer.
He taught two of the largest classes in Harvard University’s history, Positive Psychology and The Psychology of Leadership.
Today, Tal consults and lectures around the world and is the co-founder and chief learning officer of Happiness Studies Academy.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The pivotal moment in Tal’s happiness journey after he won a squash championship
- Leaving computer science behind to study philosophy & psychology
- Learning that success won’t lead to happiness
- What is me-search?
- Tal’s attempt to become happier and increase self-esteem & self-confidence
- The SPIRE elements of happiness
- When we reject painful emotions they intensify
- Even the greatest love stories face difficulties, challenges, and hardships
- It’s ok to struggle, it’s part of evolving
- Gridlocks are the road to a better relationship
- Boundaries are important in raising children
- Open communication is an important part of any relationship
- More important than validation is knowing and being known
- Taking small steps to intimacy
- People share too much, we need to be more modest
- Imparting values and interests on your family
- Understanding your intrinsic passion vs. your extrinsic motivation
- When you decide to take your own path… commit to it 100%
- Pursuing your passion is the essence of happiness
- Why Tal created the field of happiness studies
- Learn to embrace and accept your anxiety not reject it
- Have more of an impact on our happiness levels
- Create daily rituals to express gratitude
- Knowing that your life is going to end / facing death
- Reading a book on happiness won’t make you happier… you need to practice
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
LMNT <== Get your LMNT Sample Pack for the cost of shipping (5 dollars in the US)
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Alitura <== 20% off your first order of Alitura’s life-changing skin care products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Tal Ben-Shahar – Happier (book)
Tal Ben-Shahar’s website
Follow Tal Ben-Shahar on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Happiness Studies Academy (Save 10% off by using the code HAPPY at checkout)
Tal Ben-Shahar (books)
Henry David Thoreau (books)
Mohandas Gandhi – The Story Of My Experiments With Truth: Mahatma Gandhi’s Autobiography (book)
Viktor Frankl – Man’s Search For Meaning (book)
Aristotle – Nicomachean Ethics (book)
George Eliot (aka Mary Anne Evans) – Middlemarch (book)
Oprah Winfrey (books)
David Schnarch – Passionate Marriage (book)
Anders Ericsson (books)
Martin Seligman (books)
Ellen Langer (books)
Sonja Lyubomirsky (books)
The Good Place
Irvin D. Yalom (books)
377: A.J. Jacobs – Stop Obsessing About Your Health, Gratitude Leads To Happiness, Radical Honesty
366: Dr. Andrew Weil – Spontaneous Happiness
211: Meik Wiking – What Is Happiness (Lykke)? • The Lost Wallet Experiment • Helper’s High
123: Jonathan Fields – How To Live A Good Life • Breakthroughs Require Uncertainty • Money And Happiness Are Byproducts, Not The Goal
037: Gretchen Rubin – The Foundation For Happiness | Simplicity vs. Abundance Lovers | The One Minute Rule
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.