Susan David, Ph.D. (IG: @susandavid_phd), is an award-winning Psychologist on the faculty of Harvard Medical School; co-founder and co-director of the Institute of Coaching at McLean Hospital; and CEO of Evidence Based Psychology, a boutique business consultancy. She is the author of the new #1 Wall Street Journal best-selling book Emotional Agility*.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Growing up in Apartheid South Africa
- Being the master of being ok
- Writing/journaling like nobody’s reading it
- Are you bottling emotions?
- Stop brooding
- Showing up to our emotions
- Difficult emotions serve a purpose
- Understanding the difference between guilt & shame
- Anger often comes about when something important to you is being blocked
- Acceptance is the prerequisite of change
- Creating space between the thinker and the thought
- Stop identifying your whole self with an emotion
- Emotion granularity
- Our stories don’t always serve us
- Human beings are drawn to stories, familiarity, & coherence
- Values are qualities of action
- The most fundamental protector of our health and wellbeing
- Social contagion and how to protect yourself from it
- The problem with “have to” goals
- The tyranny of positivity
- Depression is the single leading cause of disability, globally
- People with goals around happiness become less happy and less resilient over time
- There’s a time to grit and a time to quit
- Raising emotionally agile children
- 4 key ideas of emotional agility
- All emotions are transient
Thrive Market <== As a new customer you get a free 30-day membership, 25% off your order, and free shipping (US only)*
Four Sigmatic <== 10% off all Four Sigmatic products & free shipping over $100
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $100
Raw Elements <== 10% off all Raw Elements products – Apply the code TUHP at checkout (free shipping over $100)
Susan David – Emotional Agility (book)*
Susan David’s website
The Emotional Agility Quiz
Follow Susan David on Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter
The New York Times – Teaching Your Child Emotional Agility featuring Susan David
Download our BRAND NEW TUHP iOS app (FREE)!
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Our favourite social media platform is Instagram. Follow our adventures.
5. Share using the buttons below.