Summer Rayne Oakes (IG: @homesteadbrooklyn) is an entrepreneur, author and media host whose work focuses on health, wellness and sustainability.
Her website, Homestead Brooklyn and YouTube series, Plant One On Me, help reconnect people to nature through the beauty of plants and gardening. Summer’s latest book came out this past July, How to Make a Plant Love You.
You may see her in Brooklyn hanging out at her local community garden with her pet chicken, Kippee, or tending to her own copious indoor jungle of over 1100 plants.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Being a self-confessed crazy plant lady
- Having over 1100 plants in a Brooklyn apartment
- Connecting people to the deeper level of nature
- House plant trends around the world
- The origin behind Summer Rayne Oakes’ name
- Growing up enjoying the outdoors
- Bringing sustainability to the fashion world
- Create the community you want to live in
- You always remember your 1st plant… Summer’s fiddle leaf fig
- The benefits of building a ritual with your plants
- Understanding quality and quantity of light, water, & soil
- There is a plant for everyone
- The ZZ plant can grow under any conditions
- What is a par meter?
- Watering & soil techniques
- When to re-pot your plants
- Getting your plants on a fertilizing schedule
- 365 days of plants project
- Active observation of plants
- How to thrive like a plant
- Plants are sensitive to fluoride & chlorine in water
- Life with Kippee… the pet chicken
- Remove sugar from your diet, focus on whole foods
- Foraging for mushrooms
- Practicing community gardening
- Feeding yourself and the world around you
XPT Life app <== Download the XPT Life app for free and stimulate growth in all aspects of human performance
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products (free shipping in the US)
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Summer Rayne Oakes – How to Make a Plant Love You (book)
Summer Rayne Oakes’ website (Homestead Brooklyn)
Follow Summer Rayne Oakes on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Subscribe to Summer Rayne Oakes on YouTube (Plant One On Me)
Summer Rayne Oakes – SugarDetoxMe (book)
Dan Nosowitz – Meet a Woman Who Keeps 500 plants in Her Brooklyn Apartment (Modern Farmer article)
Ep 024: Fiddle Leaf Fig (Ficus lyrata) Care (Plant One On Me – YouTube)
Houseplant 101: What Plant is Right for My Space? — Ep 116 (Plant On On Me – YouTube)
One Plant a Day: 365 Days of Plants!!! (Plant One On Me – YouTube)
Great Bear Rainforest
297: Carly Stein – The Role Of Bees, Sustainable Beekeeping, Bee Pollen Is Natures Multivitamin
227: Andy Couturier – The Abundance Of Less • Enjoying The Process • Thinking For Yourself
034: Frank Giglio – ReWild Your Life | Eat Local & Thrive | Deep Nutrition With Fermented Foods
015: Tero Isokauppila – Balance Your Hormones And Immune System With Superfood Mushrooms
009: Anthony Anderson – Creating A Life Of Paradise
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.