Today we are speaking with health expert, Shawn Stevenson. Shawn shares his amazing story of how he was able to heal from and “incurable” spinal condition – degenerative disc disease. The 3 contributing factors that lead to his health transformation were diet, exercise and proper sleep. Shawn is the author of the book Sleep Smarter and is a true master when it comes to topic of sleep optimization. He hosts the hit podcast The Model Health Show where he shares life-changing information with people from around the globe.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How Shawn went from being barely able to walk to a thriving health leader
- Committing 100% to not giving up
- You need to move your body to heal
- Movement, nutrition and sleep… the big 3 when it comes to healing
- It starts with upgrading your ingredients
- The power of listening to your body
- Shawn’s current diet and how it has evolved over the years
- Walking is the best form of exercise
- Long distance running ISN’T the secret to losing weight
- Stress is wreaking havoc on our health
- Sleep is essential for solidifying memories (like the epic info in this episode)
- Getting good sleep (“money time sleep”) is like making a good investment
- Melatonin is a powerful anti-cancer hormone
- Health professionals are generally unfit
- The World Health Organization states that shift-work is a class 3 carcinogen
- Melatonin supplementation can down regulate your body’s production over time
- 8-9 out of 10 Americans are deficient in magnesium + 100% of insomniacs
- Don’t exercise within 5 hours before bed
- Your heart loves magnesium
- Over-wearing a bra can lead to breast cancer
- Bras cause your breasts to sag
- Sex makes for a better night’s sleep
- The blue light from electronics before bed causes a reduction in melatonin
- Orange tinted glasses are a hack for those nights when you need extend your screen time
Shawn Stevenson’s website
The Model Health Show (iTunes)
Shawn Stevenson – Sleep Smarter (book)
Follow Shawn Stevenson on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Ann Wigmore Institute
Natural Calm Magnesium (supplement)
Sidney Ross Singer – Dressed To Kill (book)
052: Shawn Stevenson – Sleep Smarter | Living Spring Water | Solutions For Snoring
230: Dr. Christiane Northrup – Dodging Energy Vampires • Characteristics Of An Empath • Make Sleep Your Go-To Healer
223: Max Lugavere – Alzheimer’s And The Ketogenic Diet • Genius Foods • Stop Skimping On Sleep
116: Dr. Michael Breus – The Mystery Of Sleep • What Is Your Chronotype? • The Best Pillow And Mattress
107: Arianna Huffington – Rekindle Your Romance With Sleep
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.