Sarah Ballantyne, Ph.D. (IG: @thepaleomom) is the creator of the award-winning blog The Paleo Mom, cohost of the top-rated and syndicated The Paleo View podcast, and New York Times bestselling author of four books: the most comprehensive paleo guidebook to date, Paleo Principles; the definitive Autoimmune Protocol guidebook, The Paleo Approach; and two AIP cookbooks, The Paleo Approach Cookbook and The Healing Kitchen.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is a thyroid gland?
- The difference between hyper and hypothyroid diseases
- Hashimoto’s is the most common of all autoimmune diseases
- Pregnancy complications are higher in women with hypothyroidism
- Understanding the link between immune function, diet, and lifestyle
- Why taking a more comprehensive & holistic approach is essential
- What is the autoimmune protocol (AIP)?
- Lab ranges vs. functional ranges for thyroid hormone levels
- Importance of advocating for a full thyroid panel
- The role of a functional medicine specialist
- Sarah’s 3 1/2 year journey to being symptom-free
- Small changes make the biggest difference
- What is an autoimmune flare up?
- Why ketogenic diets should be avoided
- Overview of AIP
- 80% of our immune system is in the gut
- The significance of iodine, selenium, zinc, & iron on AIP
- About 73% of people are deficient in zinc
- Reintroductions are an important aspect of the AIP protocol
- How elimination and challenge diets are constructed
- Empowering people with knowledge
- Sarah’s AIP journey
- How AIP began
- The role nutrients play in immune health
- The problem with food sensitivity testing
- Elimination diets are the gold standard in testing
- Fish & shellfish are high in zinc, selenium, & iron
- The cruciferous vegetable myth
Thrive Market <== Get your membership for as low as $5 a month & receive $20 in shopping credit with a 1 year membership (US only)
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products and they ship worldwide (free shipping in the US)
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Sarah Ballantyne – Paleo Principles (book)
The Paleo Mom (Sarah’s website)
The Paleo View (Sarah’s podcast)
Follow Sarah Ballantyne on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Sarah Ballantyne – The Paleo Approach (book)
Sarah Ballantyne – The Paleo Approach Cookbook
Alaena Haber & Sarah Ballantyne – The Healing Kitchen (cookbook)
Listen to Sarah Ballantyne previously on TUHP (episode #220)
AIP Lecture Series Online Program
Robb Wolf – The Paleo Solution (book)
Listen to Robb Wolf previously on TUHP (episode #145)
Dr. Loren Cordain – The Paleo Diet
Dr. Terry Wahls – Minding Your Mitrochrondria TedxIowaCity (video)
Listen to Dr. Terry Wahls previously on TUHP (episode #120)
Healing & Dealing With Hashi’s (Marni’s 4 week Hashimoto’s course)
317: Dr. Will Cole – The Inflammation Spectrum, Managing Anxiety, Homeschooling
285: Dr. Izabella Wentz – Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology • Thyroid Testing • Stress, Trauma & Autoimmune Conditions
258: Samantha Gladish – Healing Hashimoto’s • Coming Off The Pill • Tracking Your Cycle
256: Dr. Datis Kharrazian – Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? • Understanding Iodine • Vitamin D & Autoimmunity
228: Focus Friday – Healing And Dealing With Hashimoto’s
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.