Sandor Katz is a fermentation revivalist.
His passion for fermentation grew out of his overlapping interests in cooking, nutrition and gardening. Sandor’s fermenting journey began by making a batch of sauerkraut and he’s since earned the nickname Sandorkraut.
He’s taught hundreds of food workshops around the United States and his book Wild Fermentation has been called a classic. Sandor’s latest book, The Art of Fermentation, received a James Beard award and was a finalist at the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Sandor’s first exposure to fermented foods
- Overcoming the fear of fermenting your own foods at home
- Fermentation makes vegetables safer than when they are raw
- Fermentation and various other ways of preserving foods
- If you buy fermented foods make sure they are labelled raw or unpasteurized
- The health benefits of consuming fermented foods
- Peeking while a food is fermenting will not interrupt the process
- How does consuming a probiotic supplement compare to consuming a fermented food?
- Should you ever cook fermented foods?
- Using different sugars for different fermented beverages
- Stevia doesn’t work as a sweetener for fermenting
- Store bought vs. home brewed kombucha
- The second fermentation is the secret to carbonation
- What are the best vegetables to ferment besides cabbage?
- How and when to make a basic brine
- How to keep your ferments from becoming moldy
- How to make a vegan kimchi (without fish sauce)
- Aim to eat diversely
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Follow TUHP on Instagram
Join our Facebook Community
Sandor Katz – Wild Fermentation (book)
Sandor Katz’ website
Follow Sandor Katz on Facebook and Twitter
Sandor Katz – The Art of Fermentation (book)
Sandor Katz – The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved (book)
Fermentation Workshop with Sandor Katz (DVD)
Jo Stepaniak – The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook (book)
Miyoko Schinner – Artisan Vegan Cheese (book)
Natural Gourmet Institute
268: Sarah Wilson – Zero Waste Cooking • Minimal Consumption • Start Thinking Differently
215: Robyn Youkilis – Thin From Within • Hot Button Foods • Let Your Intuition Guide You
034: Frank Giglio – ReWild Your Life | Eat Local & Thrive | Deep Nutrition With Fermented Foods
026: We Love Fermented Foods! (minicast)
016: Steve Sanna – Dry Fast Your Way To Health, The Power Of Fermented Foods, Blocking Harmful EMFs
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.