Sandor Katz is a fermentation revivalist.
His passion for fermentation grew out of his overlapping interests in cooking, nutrition and gardening. Sandor’s fermenting journey began by making a batch of sauerkraut and he’s since earned the nickname Sandorkraut.
He’s taught hundreds of food workshops around the United States and his book Wild Fermentation has been called a classic. Sandor’s latest book, The Art of Fermentation, received a James Beard award and was a finalist at the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Sandor’s first exposure to fermented foods
- Overcoming the fear of fermenting your own foods at home
- Fermentation makes vegetables safer than when they are raw
- Fermentation and various other ways of preserving foods
- If you buy fermented foods make sure they are labelled raw or unpasteurized
- The health benefits of consuming fermented foods
- Peeking while a food is fermenting will not interrupt the process
- How does consuming a probiotic supplement compare to consuming a fermented food?
- Should you ever cook fermented foods?
- Using different sugars for different fermented beverages
- Stevia doesn’t work as a sweetener for fermenting
- Store bought vs. home brewed kombucha
- The second fermentation is the secret to carbonation
- What are the best vegetables to ferment besides cabbage?
- How and when to make a basic brine
- How to keep your ferments from becoming moldy
- How to make a vegan kimchi (without fish sauce)
- Aim to eat diversely
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free shipping over $100)*
Follow TUHP on Instagram
Join our Facebook Community
Sandor Katz’ website
Sandor Katz – Wild Fermentation (book)*
Sandor Katz – The Art of Fermentation (book)*
Sandor Katz – The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved (book)*
Fermentation Workshop with Sandor Katz (DVD)*
Jo Stepaniak – The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook (book)*
Miyoko Schinner – Artisan Vegan Cheese (book)*
Natural Gourmet Institute
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on iTunes, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Play Music. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community here.
4. Download our Habits app for iOS. You choose the healthy habits you want to implement and maintain and our app will help keep you on track. Download Habits app here.
5. Share using the buttons below.