Nina Teicholz is an investigative journalist and author of the International and New York Times bestseller, The Big Fat Surprise. Her book has upended the conventional wisdom on dietary fat and challenged the very core of our nutrition policy.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Saturated fat needs to be addressed in a different light
- Where did the idea that saturated fat and dietary cholesterol cause heart disease come from?
- Heart disease appeared at the same time vegetable oils were invented
- One of the byproducts of hydrogenation is trans fats
- What fat should you cook with?
- The tropical oils: coconut, palm kernel, and palm oil
- Should we fear coconut oil?
- The impact of a high unsaturated fat diet
- How the Mediterranean diet was born
- What’s the deal with cholesterol?
- A diet you’ll want to consider if you have a metabolic disease
- Nina’s “fat” days as a vegetarian
- Fruit is full of sugar
- Children do better on a higher fat diet
- 96 percent of the claims in What The Health (documentary) are based on weak to non-existent data
- Don’t fear the fat
Raw Elements <== 10% off all Raw Elements products – Apply the code TUHP at checkout (free shipping over $100)
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Thrive Market <== As a new customer you get a free 30-day membership, 25% off your order, and free shipping (US only)
Nina Teicholz – The Big Fat Surprise (book)
Nina Teicholz’s website
Follow Nina Teicholz on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Saturated Fats and CVD: AHA Convicts, We Say Acquit (Medscape article)
Don’t believe the American Heart Assn. — butter, steak and coconut oil aren’t likely to kill you (Los Angeles Times article)
‘What the Health‘ Review: Health Claims Backed by No Solid Evidence (Diet Doctor)
Gary Taubes books
302: Udo Erasmus – Fats That Heal… Fats That Kill, Practice Stillness, Health Is Your Responsibility
273: Dr. David Perlmutter – Grain Brain • Cholesterol Is Your Friend • What Is Keto Cycling?
244: Dr. Will Cole – Plant-Based Keto Diet • Women & Ketosis • Fats For Brain Health
178: Mark Sisson – Ketosis Curbs Hunger • The Healthiest Oil • Reboot Your Metabolism
084: Dr. Mark Hyman – Saturated Fat Isn’t The Enemy | Eat Fat, Get Thin | Stop Fearing Cholesterol
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.