Michael Easter (IG: @michael_easter) is the author of The Comfort Crisis, a contributing editor at Men’s Health magazine, columnist for Outside magazine, and professor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV).
His work has appeared in more than 60 countries and can also be found in Men’s Journal, Vice, Scientific American, Esquire, and others.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The evolution of The Comfort Crisis
- Time spent outdoors has great mental health benefits
- Michael’s 33-day Alaskan backcountry hunting trip
- Boredom tells us to go do something different
- The nature pyramid
- The feeling of hunting for the 1st time
- The unforgiving weather conditions in the Arctic tundra
- Understanding for one thing to live, another has to die
- How do other cultures view death?
- Traveling to Bhutan to learn the secret to happiness
- The cosmic calendar concept
- Death used to be more intimate
- Rites of passage
- What is a misogi?
- The discomfort of failure
- The benefits of accomplishing a misogi
- Experiencing periods of hunger
- Expanding your comfort zones makes your life better
- Practicing gratitude gives you perspective
- Working for your food
- The big difference between loneliness and solitude
- Block off time every day for solitude
- Balancing screen time
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Four Sigmatic <== Save up to 40% off Four Sigmatic Mushroom Coffee bundles
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
AquaOmega <== 20% off the world’s best omega-3 supplements by using the code ultimate20 at checkout
Michael Easter – The Comfort Crisis (book)
Michael Easter’s website
Follow Michael Easter on Instagram
Gross National Happiness Commission – GNH
Khenpo Phuntsok Tashi – The Fine Art of Living and Manifesting a Peaceful Death (book)
Zen Caregiving Project
Dr. Marcus Elliott
Psychotherapist Reveals How to Be Mentally Strong in a World of Change & Uncertainty | Julia Samuel (#423)
Matthew McConaughey on Catching More Greenlights, the Impermanence of Life, & Writing Your Own Story (#398)
Dr. Jud Brewer on Unwinding Anxiety (#397)
278: Robin Sharma – The 5 AM Club • Mastery Is A Process • The Power Of Solitude
062: UJ Ramdas – The Five-Minute Journal | Pushing Through Your Comfort Zone | Develop An Attitude Of Gratitude
Michael Easter photo credit: Sicmanta
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.