Joy McCarthy is the founder of Joyous Health, a certified holistic nutritionist, and best-selling author. She’s been featured in hundreds of publications both online and in print and is a regular health expert on TV. Joy lives in Toronto with her husband Walker and their daughter Vienna.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How the Joyous Detox book came to be
- Joy’s previous addiction to sugar and M&M’S
- Making healthy changes is a process… don’t do everything at once
- How sugar negatively impacted Joy’s health
- Our bodies naturally detoxify… why the need to enhance this process?
- Eating is an opportunity to boost detoxification
- We are surrounded by chemicals and toxins, on a daily basis
- Avoiding the toxins in your environment is key
- Garlic and onions support detox of your liver
- Why you might want to consider local garlic over organic
- There are over 25,000 known phytonutrients (plant nutrients)
- Feeding your healthy gut bacteria with prebiotics
- Fermented foods are a detox superfood
- There’s too much focus on curcumin
- Eat a rainbow of colour to ensure you get plenty of phytonutrients
- Joy’s Daily Detox Zinger Elixir recipe
- Cayenne enhances your digestion
- The recipe for the tea we’ve been drinking, daily
- How to easily make your own natural dry shampoo
- The cosmetic industry is self regulated… scary
- Parabens are everywhere when it comes to personal care products
- Greenwashing, don’t fall for it
- Your perfume might be messing with your hormones
- Move your body to improve detoxification
- Dry skin brushing will help make your skin glow
- Have a detox bath with dead sea salt
- What goes on you, gets in you
- If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding, can you start a detox protocol?
- How to stay on track while detoxing
- The power of affirmations
- Joy’s current morning routine
- Taking time to “just be” in the morning
- Sleep better by implementing a digital detox
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Joy McCarthy – Joyous Detox (book)
Joy McCarthy – Joyous Health (book)
Joy McCarthy’s website
Follow Joy McCarthy on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Listen to Joy McCarthy previously on TUHP (episode #79 & #12)
Joy’s dry skin brush
Listen to Julie Daniluk previously on TUHP (episode #136, #71, & #22)
Marni Wasserman – Fermenting For Dummies (book)
Listen to Dr. Robynne Chutkan previously on TUHP (episode #87 & #78)
Listen to Dr. Deanna Minich previously on TUHP (episode #138)
Tim Ferriss – Tools of Titans (book)
Jen Sincero – You Are a Badass (book)
304: Trina Felber – Primal Skincare, Remineralize Your Teeth, Foods That Cause Acne
299: Drew Manning – Complete Keto, Embracing Vulnerability As A Strength, Learn To Love Yourself
286: Cal Newport – Digital Minimalism • Create Time For Solitude • Stop Socializing On Social Media
215: Robyn Youkilis – Thin From Within • Hot Button Foods • Let Your Intuition Guide You
146: Meghan Telpner & Josh Gitalis – Create Your Ultimate Healthy Home
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.