On today’s show, we are speaking with #1 New York Times and international bestselling author, Gretchen Rubin. She has written several books including The Happiness Project and Better Than Before. Gretchen is a happiness and good habit expert. She recently started a weekly podcast with her sister, Happier with Gretchen Rubin. Gretchen lives in New York with her husband and two daughters.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Nature vs. nurture when it comes to being happy
- The foundation for happiness
- Your external environment affects your internal environment
- The power of making your bed
- Some people thrive in chaos
- How possessions CAN make us happy
- Simplicity vs. abundance lovers
- Under buyers vs. over buyers
- Major life changes create space for new habits
- Different people need to approach habit change differently
- We infect the people around us with emotions
- The one minute rule
- Using lists to clear your mind for creativity
- Respecting our individual differences when it comes to habits and happiness
- Success in the past CAN determine success in the present
- Buying the best won’t make you happiest
- Most decisions don’t require extensive research
- Things become easier when you are clear about what you want
- The negative side of habits
- Habits are a good servant but a bad master
Gretchen Rubin’s website
Follow Gretchen Rubin on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Happier with Gretchen Rubin (Gretchen’s podcast)
Gretchen Rubin – Better Than Before (book)
Gretchen Rubin – The Happiness Project (book)
Gretchen Rubin’s Quiz: The Four Tendencies
Barry Schwartz – The Paradox of Choice (book)
Gary Taubes – Why We Get Fat (book)
207: Gretchen Rubin – Are You An Upholder, Questioner, Obliger Or A Rebel?
105: Sharon Salzberg – Real Happiness: The Power Of Meditation
123: Jonathan Fields – How To Live A Good Life • Breakthroughs Require Uncertainty • Money And Happiness Are Byproducts, Not The Goal
211: Meik Wiking – What Is Happiness (Lykke)? • The Lost Wallet Experiment • Helper’s High
242: Sarah Knight – You Do You • Happiness In Imperfection • Managing Anxiety
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.