Dr. Trevor Cates is a nationally recognized naturopathic doctor. She is also known as The Spa Dr. and was the first woman licensed as a naturopathic doctor in the state of California. Trevor has worked with world-renown spas and sees patients in her private practice in Park City, Utah with a focus on graceful aging and glowing skin. She has been featured on The Doctors, MindBodyGreen and is the host of The Spa Dr. Podcast.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How Trevor hasn’t always had glowing skin
- Your skin can tell you a lot about your overall health
- Skin is our magic mirror
- The relationship between our gut microbiome and our skin microbiome
- How to tell if your skin microbiome is out of balance
- Our skin does best when the environment is mildly acidic
- Determining your skin type
- Trevor’s favourite skin nourishing animal protein – wild salmon
- Inflammation is one of the big root causes of skin issues
- The bone broth-skin connection
- Is there a collagen alternative for vegans and vegetarians?
- Antioxidant rich foods help protect your skin
- Blood sugar spikes can lead to breakouts
- How common is acne these days?
- Diet plays a big role when it comes to acne
- 80% of skin health is internal and 20% is external
- What you put on your skin gets absorbed into your body
- There are a lot of hidden ingredients in the word “fragrance”
- Aloe is great for soothing your skin
- A simple papaya mask you can make at home
- Men can take their skin care to the next level, too
- Find a cleanser with the correct pH
- Small white or red bumps on the back of the upper arms… what are these?
- Areas of the body that get the most sun exposure
- Should we be using sunblock?
- Plain yogurt is great for sunburnt skin
- The stress-skin connection
- The power of positive affirmations and mindset
Dr. Trevor Cates – Clean Skin from Within (book)
Dr. Trevor Cates’ website
Follow Dr. Trevor Cates on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Listen to The Spa Dr podcast on iTunes
The Spa Dr.’s Skin Quiz
The Spa Dr. skin care products
Listen to Dr. Kellyann Petrucci previously on TUHP (episode #72)
Sally Hogshead – Fascinate (book)
304: Trina Felber – Primal Skincare, Remineralize Your Teeth, Foods That Cause Acne
279: Sally Hogshead – How To Fascinate • Unlearn Boring • Finding Balance In The Workplace
188: Nadine Artemis – Redefining Beauty • Your Natural Deodorant Solution • Our Skin Is Designed For Sunshine
072: Dr. Kellyann Petrucci – Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Bone Broth | Foods For Glowing Skin
012: Joy McCarthy – Get Your Skin To Glow Naturally
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.