Dr. Steven Hayes (@StevenCHayes) is a professor of psychology at the University of Nevada, Reno.
An author of 46 books and nearly 675 scientific articles, he is especially known for his work on “Acceptance and Commitment Therapy” or “ACT” which is one of the most widely used and researched new methods of psychological intervention over the last 20 years. Steve is ranked among the most cited psychologists in the word.
His popular book Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life was written up in a 5 page story in Time Magazine and was for a time the bestselling self-help book in the United States. Steve’s book, A Liberated Mind released to wide acclaim.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Steve dedicated his life to becoming a psychologist
- The development of his panic disorder later in life
- Recalling his out of body experience
- What is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)?
- The trouble with avoidance
- Give your mind a name
- Try using one-word repetition
- Psychological flexibility has six processes
- The selfish version of mindfulness
- At what age do negative thoughts start in kids?
- The problem with clinging to the positive
- Teaching kids situational awareness
- Are you on a hero’s journey or are you writing a tragedy?
- The two different vagal systems
- How to pivot towards what matters
- You’re emotions aren’t unsafe
- The emotion of confidence
- Overcoming speech anxiety
- Using mindful awareness to beat anxiety
- Living with a liberated mind
- Seeking an ACT therapist
AquaOmega <== 20% off the world’s best omega-3 supplements by using the code ultimate20 at checkout
LMNT <== Get your LMNT Sample Pack for the cost of shipping (5 dollars in the US)
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Dr. Steven Hayes – A Liberated Mind (book)
Dr. Steven Hayes’ website
Follow Dr. Steven Hayes on Facebook and Twitter
Dr. Steven Hayes – Get Out Of Your Mind and Into Your Life (book)
Dr. Steven Hayes – Psychological flexibility: How love turns pain into purpose (TEDx Talk)
Stephen Porges (books)
Russ Harris – The Happiness Trap (book)
Find an ACT therapist
Self-Help Plus (SH+) free course
Eat This Way to Overcome Anxiety & Depression | Liana Werner-Gray (#437)
Doctor Reveals the Hidden Causes of Anxiety, Depression, OCD & More in Children | Dr. Kenneth Bock (#427)
Nutritional Psychiatrist Reveals Top Foods to Beat Depression and Anxiety | Dr. Drew Ramsey (#424)
Dr. Caroline Leaf on Eliminating Anxiety, Depression, and Intrusive Thoughts by Managing Your Mind (#402)
359: Dr. Daniel Amen – The End Of Mental Illness
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.