Sarah Buckley is a New-Zealand-trained GP/family physician with qualifications in GP-obstetrics and family planning. She’s also a PhD candidate at the University of Queensland, where her research is focused on the hormone systems of labour and birth and the impacts of interventions.
Sarah is the mother of four home-born children, and currently combines motherhood with her work as a writer on pregnancy, birth, and parenting. She’s the author of the bestselling book, Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How the birth of Sarah’s children inspired her passion
- Nature’s hormonal blueprint for labour and birth
- The impact of epidurals and C-sections on hormonal flow
- The reward and pleasure of birth
- Preconception planning
- The model of care
- Trusting your body
- Home birth is a safe option
- Water births
- Be flexible
- The impact of ultrasounds
- Get in touch with your baby
- Everything has its pros and cons
- The truth about epidurals
- The importance of oxytocin
- Ecstatic birth
- How a C-section affects the baby
- Why you should delay cord clamping
- Health benefits of the placenta
- What is a lotus birth?
- Power of skin-to-skin contact
- The rewarding benefits of breastfeeding
- Co-sleeping and breast-sleeping
- Find your tribe
- Educate yourself
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products and they ship worldwide (free shipping in the US)
Thrive Market <== Get your membership for as low as $5 a month & receive $20 in shopping credit with a 1 year membership (US only)
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Raw Elements <== 10% off all Raw Elements products – Apply the code TUHP at checkout (free shipping over $100)
Dr. Sarah Buckley – Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering (book)
Dr. Sarah Buckley’s website
Follow Dr. Sarah Buckley on Facebook
Ecstatic Birth (Sarah’s ebook)
Dr. Sarah Buckley – Hormonal Physiology of Childbearing (report)
Ultrasound Scans in Pregnancy – Your Questions Answered! (Sarah’s blog)
Epidurals in Labour (Sarah’s blog)
Leaving Well Alone: A Natural Approach to the Third Stage of labour (Sarah’s blog)
What’s so Great about Hormonal Physiology? (Sarah’s blog)
Undisturbed Birth (DVD)
Why Not Home (documentary)
Living Libations essential oils
James J. McKenna, PhD – Co-sleeping
La Leche League
Australian Breastfeeding Association
315: Genevieve Howland aka Mama Natural – Preparing For A Healthy Pregnancy & Childbirth
262: Jen Oliver – Core Rehab • Travelling With Young Kids • Saying Thank You
206: Josh Gitalis – Support During Pregnancy • Boost Your Immunity • Testing For Heavy Metals
204: Meghan Telpner – A “Natural” Birth Story
079: Joy McCarthy – Natural Pregnancy | Work-Life Balance As A New Mom | Should You Exercise While You’re Pregnant?
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.