On this week’s show, we are speaking with bestselling author, Dr. Robynne Chutkan. She is a leading gastroenterologist who strives to highlight the importance of nutrition, exercise, and leisure to her patients.
In 2004, Dr. Chutkan founded the Digestive Center for Women, an integrative gastroenterology practice. She makes regular appearances on Dr. Oz and has been a featured expert on The Today Show and The Doctors. Dr. Chutkan’s first book is titled Gutbliss (2013) and she recently released The Mircobiome Solution (2015).
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is your microbiome?
- Microbes (in & on our bodies) outnumber us 10 to 1
- As society becomes more sanitized, we’re seeing more people with autoimmune diseases
- Our microbiome breaks down food & toxins, makes vitamins (eg. vitamin K), synthesizes hormones & neurotransmitters, and turns genes on + off
- The benefits of a vaginal birth over getting a c-section
- Formula fed babies end up with pretty serious microbial abnormalities
- A simple technique to colonize a baby post c-section
- Baby formula doesn’t come close to breast milk in terms of nutrition
- Antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers are damaging your microbiome and making you sick
- A simple tactic to help prevent colds and the flu
- Play in the dirt, build a healthy microbiome
- Having pets is good for you and your children
- Chlorine in you water (shower & drinking) is harming your microbiome
- Questions to ask your doctor before taking antibiotics
- A number of prebiotic foods that feed your healthy gut bacteria
- What to look for when buying a probiotic
- The positive and negative sides of stool transplants
- Solutions to reduce gas and bloating
- People with depression and anxiety have abnormalities in their microbiome
- Don’t ever take antibiotics for acne
- As cities grow, rates of asthma increase
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Dr. Robynne Chutkan – The Mircobiome Solution (book)
Dr. Robynne Chutkan’s website (Gutbliss)
Follow Dr. Robynne Chutkan on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Dr. Robynne Chutkan – Gutbliss (book)
Goji’s Instagram account (our new puppy)
Greenhouse Juice Co. (Toronto)
Dr. Martin Blaser – Missing Microbes (book)
Habits app for iOS (*no longer available)
289: Dr. David Perlmutter – Brain Maker • Reconnecting With Nature • Exercise Impacts The Microbiome
251: Dr. Sarah Buckley – Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering • Preconception Planning • The Role Of Oxytocin
089: Dr. Josh Axe – Eat Dirt • Leaky Gut Is The Root Cause Of All Disease • Soil-Based Organisms
248: Evan Brand – Parasites, H. pylori, & Candida • Cavitation Surgery • Addressing Mental Health
294: Dr. Sara Gottfried – Brain Body Diet, Start To Surrender, Reset With Intermittent Fasting
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.