Dr. Pedram Shojai (IG: @official_urbanmonk) is former Taoist monk who is a physician of Chinese medicine and has lectured on wellness around the world.
His no-nonsense approach teaches esoteric concepts to Western readers in an easy to understand way.
Pedram is a New York Times bestselling author and producer of multiple films and series.
Today we’re discussing his latest book Focus: Bringing Time, Energy, and Money into Flow.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Pedram becoming a Taoist monk
- The integration of Qigong and Kung Fu
- Choosing to live as an urban monk
- Don’t use spirituality to run from your past
- Sex is a path to enlightenment
- The hardest part about being a monk
- Developing good work ethic early on
- No one is perfect, we all have flaws
- What Pedram learned after fasting for 5 days in Hawaii
- You’ve got to do the work
- The benefits of meditation
- Basic meditation tips
- Meditation is the ultimate drug
- What if the answer to complexity was simplicity
- Social media algorithms pull your attention away from your life
- Focus on your own life
- Developing the life garden framework
- Learning how to say no
- Understanding energy economics
- Qigong is the secret to life
- What is the difference between Qigong and Tai Chi?
- If it’s not in your calendar, how important is it to you?
- Practicing the art of disengaging from effort
- Meditation is a muscle
- Creating empty space in your life
- Pedram’s work/life balance in Utah
- Hunting is a primal experience
- How to identify the weeds in your life garden
- Newsflash “you’re going to die”
- Being present every day
- Honouring commitments to yourself
- Get to work on your life
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
BLUblox <== 15% off the world’s most advanced blue light glasses
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
LMNT <== LMNT’s tasty electrolyte drink mix comes in 7 flavours and is formulated to help anyone with their electrolyte needs
Dr. Pedram Shojai – Focus (book)
Dr. Pedram Shojai’s website (The Urban Monk)
Follow Dr. Pedram Shojai on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Dr. Pedram Shojai (books)
Watch Dr. Pedram Shojai’s films on Whole.TV
Listen to Pedram Shojai previously on TUHP (episode #182)
Deng Ming-Dao – The Wandering Taoist (book)
Deng Ming-Dao – Chronicles of Tao (book)
The Social Dilemma (documentary)
375: James Sebastiano – Chasing The Present
374: Dr. Jud Brewer – The Craving Mind, Finding Joy In Meditation, Overcoming Addictions
336: John Assaraf – Innercise, Goal Setting, Are You Committed?
332: Dr. David Perlmutter – Brain Wash, Prioritizing Meditation, The T.I.M.E. Tool
293: Mark Manson – We All Need Hope • Meditation Makes You Stronger • Happiness Is Overrated
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.