Dr. Mark Hyman is a practicing family physician, a ten-time #1 New York Times bestselling author, and an internationally recognized leader, speaker, educator, & advocate in his field. He is the director of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine. Mark is also the founder and medical director of the UltraWellness Center.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why we’re so confused about what to eat
- Why do health experts often have such contrasting opinions?
- What’s the science say about consuming meat?
- Blood avocados?!?
- There’s never been a voluntary vegan society in the history of humanity
- Why grass-fed meat is better
- Animals have to be part of the agriculture cycle to restore the soil
- You might be a vegetarian but your broccoli is actually a carnivore
- Thinking of meat as a condiment
- Organ meats are a great health food
- How we cook really matters
- Cholesterol is no longer a bad guy
- “What The Health” is a flawed documentary
- What to look for on the label of eggs
- Milk can lead to acne
- Fish are being intentionally mislabelled (scary!)
- The benefits of frozen fruit vs fresh
- Pick the fruits that are lower in sugar
- What are the fat fruits?
- Veggies you should always buy organic
- The hype around the ketogenic diet
- An MCT/coconut oil biohack that creates low-level ketosis
- Are beans a good protein solution?
- There’s no such thing as essential carbohydrates
- Eating oatmeal creates a stress response in the body
- Stop drinking liquid calories, except…
Four Sigmatic <== 15% off all Four Sigmatic products (free shipping on orders $100 or more)
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products and they ship worldwide (free shipping in the US)
Thrive Market <== Get your membership for as low as $5 a month & receive $20 in shopping credit with a 1 year membership (US only)
Dr. Mark Hyman – Food: What The Heck Should I Eat? (book)
Dr. Mark Hyman’s website
Follow Dr. Mark Hyman on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Dr. Mark Hyman – Eat Fat, Get Thin (book)
Listen to Dr. Mark Hyman previously on TUHP (episode #84, & #74)
Got Proof? Lack of Evidence for Milk’s Benefits (Mark’s blog post)
Dances With Wolves (movie)
Listen to Dr. Neal Barnard previously on TUHP (episode #121)
Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Listen to Dr. Dom D’Agostino previously on TUHP (episode #133)
Listen to Leanne Vogel previously on TUHP (episode #174)
Listen to Mark Sisson previously on TUHP (episode #178)
316: Dr. William Li – Is Your Diet Feeding Or Defeating Disease?
273: Dr. David Perlmutter – Grain Brain • Cholesterol Is Your Friend • What Is Keto Cycling?
223: Max Lugavere – Alzheimer’s And The Ketogenic Diet • Genius Foods • Stop Skimping On Sleep
166: Nina Teicholz – Stop Fearing Saturated Fat • What’s The Deal With Cholesterol? • The Coconut Oil Controversy
120: Dr. Terry Wahls – How To Fuel Your Mitochondria • Organ Meats For Beginners • MCT Oil And Exogenous Ketones
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.