On this week’s show, we are speaking with Dr. Mark Burhenne DDS, a Silicon Valley family and cosmetic dentist of over 25 years. He’s the creator of AsktheDentist.com, whose mission is to help people take control of their dental health, get out of pain, and get unbiased answers about their teeth. Mark is the author of The 8-Hour Sleep Paradox and an expert when it comes to sleep apnea.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How a dentist became a sleep apnea expert
- Sleep disordered breathing, a catch-all term
- How many of us are suffering from sleep disordered breathing?
- Think you might have sleep apnea? Signs and symptoms that warrant a sleep study
- What is at the root of sleep disordered breathing?
- The long and short term effects of sleep disordered breathing
- Sleep trumps everything
- People who suffer from sleep apnea experience physical changes in their face
- The 3 types of sleep apnea
- You don’t need to snore to have sleep apnea
- What physically happens when someone elicits sleep disordered breathing?
- If you have sleep apnea, your adrenals pay the price
- Body type doesn’t tell the whole story when it comes to sleep disordered breathing
- If you snore, you have a problem that should be addressed
- Is the sleep information provided by the Fitbit legit?
- Sleep apnea fixes include a CPAP/APAP, an oral appliance, postural therapy, and surgery
- Sleep hacks can be great but if you have a small airway… they won’t be enough
- The best pillow, ever!
- Sleeping positions… which is best?
- Being a light sleeper isn’t normal
- Why Mark uses a fluoride paste on his teeth before bed
- Manage the ratio of good to bad bacteria in your mouth by oil pulling
- It’s not necessary to oil pull for the full 20 minutes
- Breast feeding helps develop the babies airway
- An easy way to floss using a floss stick
- What happens in the mouth, happens in the rest of the body
Links to things we mentioned:
Dr. Mark Burhenne – The 8-Hour Sleep Paradox (book)*
Ask the Dentist – Dr. Mark Burhenne’s website
Dirk Pearson & Sandy Shaw – Life Extension (book)*
Listerine Ultraclean Flosser*
Dr. Tung’s Smart Floss*
Marni Wasserman’s Home-Made Cooking Series: Get In Your Kitchen! Use the code HOMEMADE for a 10% discount throughout February 2016
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free shipping over $100)*
TUHP Facebook group
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast.
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later.
3. Share using the buttons below.