Today’s show features Dr. Joel Kahn, The Holistic Heart Doc. He is a cardiologist on a mission to get people eating more plants. As the author of The Whole Heart Solution, Joel is well versed in the numerous health benefits of consuming a plant-based diet. As an MD with a holistic focus, Joel is a pioneer, setting the stage for other doctors to follow.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How Joel became America’s Holistic Heart Doc
- Heart disease is preventable & reversible with a healthy lifestyle – A plant-based diet is a huge part of this
- Hospitals are generally feeding patients junk food
- Meat promotes diabetes and inflammation
- Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to eating more plants
- Is a vegan diet ideal for all stages of life?
- Are healthy fats living up to all the hype?
- Can plants provide us with all of our essential fatty acids (AFA, EPA & DHA)
- More flax and soy = more health, more longevity, less prostate cancer, breast cancer and heart disease
- Should sea salt be considered a health food?
- Are grass fed, pasture raised meats actually good for you?
- Gluten… should we embrace whole grains?
- Coconut oil has no role in a healthy diet
- 6 steps to decrease your heart attack risk by 90%
- Some supplements you should consider
- Joel’s morning routine and what he does to ensure a solid sleep
- Blocking blue light at night will increase melatonin production
Dr. Joel Kahn – The Whole Heart Solution (book)
Dr. Joel Kahn’s website
Follow Dr. Joel Kahn on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
John Robbins – Diet For A New America (book)
Dr. Dean Ornish
Dr. Dean Ornish (books)
Forks Over Knives (documentary)*
Dr. Scott Stoll
The Plantrician Project
Dr. Kim A. Williams (The New York Times)
Dr. Michael Greger – The Saturated Fat Studies: Buttering Up the Public (YouTube)
Dr. Brian Clement
The Forks Over Knives Plan (book) United States/Canada
Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine (PCRM)
Marni Wasserman – Plant-Based Diet For Dummies (book)
One Green Planet
Dr. John McDougall
Dr. John McDougall (books)
The DASH Diet Eating Plan
Dash Diet (books)
Sugar, Gluten, Paleo, Vegan: 3 Doctors Debate The Best Way To Eat
Dr. William Davis – Wheat Belly (book)
Dr. David Perlmutter – Grain Brain (book)
f.lux (free software)
096: Dr. Joel Kahn – The Gut-Heart Connection • Paleo vs. Low-Fat Vegan Diet • Top Heart Health Foods
068: Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr. – Prevent And Reverse Heart Disease (minicast)
153: Dr. William Davis – Gluten Free Isn’t Enough • Undoctored • The Importance Of A High Potency, Multi-Species Probiotic
166: Nina Teicholz – Stop Fearing Saturated Fat • What’s The Deal With Cholesterol? • The Coconut Oil Controversy
148: Dr. Joseph Mercola – DHA, The Most Important Fat • Sensible Sun Exposure • Blue Light Blockers Are A Must
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action ;)
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.