Dr. Ethan Kross (IG: @ethankross) is one of the world’s leading experts on controlling the conscious mind. An award-winning professor at the University of Michigan and the Ross School of Business, he is the director of the Emotion & Self Control Laboratory.
Ethan is the author of Chatter: The Voice in Our Head, Why It Matters, and How to Harness It.
If you’re someone who’s struggling with controlling the negative thoughts circling your mind – this conversation is going to give you the tools you need to take back control.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What it means to control your mind
- The ability to experience negative thoughts & emotions
- The importance of our inner voice
- Animals experience learned helplessness
- Useful tools to help shift your internal chatter
- Practicing distanced self-talk
- Normalizing the experience of chatter
- The ability to time travel in our minds
- How to feel without becoming overwhelmed
- What happens when we overthink our problems?
- The process of getting and providing support
- Finding the right therapist for you
- Teaching kids how to deal with their chatter
- Forms of invisible support
- Seeking out awe-inspiring experiences
- Performing rituals helps us quiet chatter
- Savouring positive experiences
- Ethan’s father taught him to focus inward
- How Ethan coached himself through a threatening situation
- Tools you can use during extreme moments of stress
- Social media’s impact on wellbeing
- What makes someone a good chat advisor?
Oura Ring <== Buy the Oura Ring Generation 3 and get 6 free months of Oura membership
Just Thrive <== 15% off all Just Thrive products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
How to Calm Your Anxiety & Release Stress | Dr. Ellen Vora (#471)
How to Reprogram Your Subconscious Mind to Create Lasting Transformation | Dr. Nicole LePera (#466)
How to Free Your Mind and Live a Full & Meaningful Life | Dr. Steven Hayes (#444)
Dr. Caroline Leaf on Eliminating Anxiety, Depression, and Intrusive Thoughts by Managing Your Mind (#402)
381: Dr. Dan Siegel – The Mind Is Broader Than The Brain
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.