The Washington Post called Dr. Daniel Amen (IG: @doc_amen) the most popular psychiatrist in America and Discover Magazine listed his brain imaging research as the top neuroscience story for 2015. He is a double board-certified psychiatrist and ten-time NY Times bestselling author.
Dr. Amen is the founder of Amen Clinics, which has 8 locations across the United States.
He has also hosted 14 national public television shows about the brain, which have aired over 100,000 times across North America.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Lessons Dr. Amen learned from his pet raccoon
- Learn how to study
- Once you learn something, teach other people
- Don’t spend time with people who limit your ability to succeed
- Your brain is always listening to what you feed it
- What are automatic negative thoughts (ANTs)?
- Today is going to be a great day!
- Change yourself first
- Setting up an ideal study environment
- Tips for eliminating distractions
- Too much screen time impacts mental health
- Listening to brain directed music to help you focus
- Be the scientist and the subject
- Essential oils that enhance studying
- 3 types of memory
- The role of the hippocampus
- Make sleep a priority
- Start loving yourself
- Omega-3 supplements breakdown
- EPA is important for mood, ADD, and focus
- Ideas to promote quality sleep
- Bright light therapy in the morning improves mood & energy
- Using hypnotherapy to aid sleep
- Meditate or pray at bedtime to relax your mind
- How to overcome the fear of public speaking
- The 18-40-60 Rule
- Caffeine has a negative impact on your brain
- Your brain is 80% water, it needs to stay hydrated
- The world’s best brain game
- Contact sports and concussions
Thrive Market <== Get your membership for as low as $5 a month & receive $20 in shopping credit with a 1 year membership (US only)
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products (free shipping in the US)
Dr. Daniel Amen – Change Your Brain, Change Your Grades (book)
Dr. Daniel Amen’s website
Follow Dr. Daniel Amen on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
The Brain Warrior’s Way Podcast
Dr. Daniel Amen (books)
Nir Eyal – Hooked (book)
Barry Goldstein/Dr.Daniel Amen – Bright Minds (cd)
Barry Goldstein/Dr.Daniel Amen – The Brain Warrior’s Way Music Program (cd)
Barry Goldstein/Dr.Daniel Amen – Feel Better Fast and Make It Last Music Program (cd)
Listen to Tana Amen (Dr. Amen’s wife) previously on TUHP (episode #63)
092: Dr. Kelly Brogan – Depression, Myths & Misconceptions • Medications That Commonly Cause Psychiatric Side Effects • Gut Health Impacts Brain Health
332: Dr. David Perlmutter – Brain Wash, Prioritizing Meditation, The T.I.M.E. Tool
294: Dr. Sara Gottfried – Brain Body Diet, Start To Surrender, Reset With Intermittent Fasting
292: Chalene Johnson – 131 Method • Family Comes First • Stop The Food Rules
244: Dr. Will Cole – Plant-Based Keto Diet • Women & Ketosis • Fats For Brain Health
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.