Dr. Casey Means (IG: @drcaseyskitchen) is the chief medical officer and co-founder of metabolic health company Levels, lecturer at Stanford University, and associate editor of the International Journal of Disease Reversal and Prevention.
Her mission is to maximize human potential and reverse the epidemic of preventable chronic disease by empowering individuals with tech-enabled tools that can inform smart, personalized, and sustainable dietary and lifestyle choices.
Today we’re learning all about managing your blood glucose and insulin to fight disease & feel your best!
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why it’s important to manage your blood sugar levels
- The 5 main causes of blood sugar spikes
- How glucose levels impact insulin sensitivity
- Ask your doctor for a fasting insulin test
- 128 million Americans have prediabetes & type 2 diabetes
- How do you build a healthy body?
- Food is the best lever to control metabolic health
- The benefits of wearing a continuous glucose monitor (CGM)
- Exercise improves insulin sensitivity
- Everyone’s microbiome diversity is unique
- How to modulate your glucose spikes by swapping foods
- Casey’s thoughts on consuming vinegar before meals to lower glucose spikes
- “Healthy” foods that are blood glucose disasters
- Unprocessed food causes less of a glucose response
- Which foods can lower glucose spikes
- Intermittent fasting has a positive impact on metabolic health
- Foods that help you build a metabolically healthy body
- How Casey has pivoted her diet after wearing CGMs
- 6 factors to consider when building a metabolically healthy body
- Testing for micronutrient deficiencies
- Consuming specific foods to boost micronutrients
- Sleep deprivation impacts insulin sensitivity
- The connection between toxins and obesity
- Excess blue light exposure leads to worse metabolic outcomes
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Just Thrive <== 15% off all Just Thrive products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Dr. Casey Means’ website (Levels)
Follow Dr. Casey Means on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Weizmann Institute of Science – Personalized Nutrition by Prediction of Glycemic Responses (study)
Listen or watch Jessie Inchauspé previously on TUHP (episode #476)
Kelly LeVeque – Fab Four Smoothie
Hu Kitchen – Grain-Free Crackers
Listen or watch Dr. Sara Gottfried previously on TUHP (episodes #144, #164, #294, and #453)
Dr. Sara Gottfried – Women, Food, and Hormones (book)
Listen or watch Dr. Steven Gundry previously on TUHP (episodes #202, #287, #404, and #461)
Dr. Steven Gundry – Unlocking the Keto Code (book)
Forager Project Yogurt
The Coconut Cult
Siete Almond Flour Torillas
Levels – #43: One CEO’s 81 pound weight loss using glucose monitoring (Betsy McLaughlin & Casey Means)
Genova Diagnostics – NutrEval FMV
Listen or watch Dr. Robert Lustig previously on TUHP (episode #474)
Obesity III: Obesogen assays: Limitations, strengths, and new directions (study)
Intermittent Fasting Is the Key to Weight Loss | Dr. Jason Fung (#467)
The Complete Guide to Intermittent Fasting for Women | Cynthia Thurlow (#465)
Eliminate These Foods to Lose Weight & Prevent + Reverse Disease | Dr. David Perlmutter (#457)
Kick Sugar to the Curb to Reduce Inflammation & Restore Your Health | Julie Daniluk (#450)
Dr. Will Cole on Intuitive Fasting to Recharge Your Metabolism and Renew Your Health (#393)
Dr. Casey Means photo credit: Stacie Flinner
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.