Benjamin Bikman (IG: @benbikmanphd) earned his Ph.D. in bioenergetics and was a postdoctoral fellow with the Duke-National University of Singapore in metabolic disorders.
Currently, his professional focus as a scientist and professor is to better understand the role of elevated insulin and nutrient metabolism in regulating obesity, diabetes, and dementia.
AKA he’s an expert on the topic of insulin resistance and how it’s at the root of most chronic disease. On today’s show – he teaches us how to fight back.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The primary and secondary causes of insulin resistance
- Diseases that can arise from insulin resistance
- Skin tags are a strong sign you have insulin resistance
- The problem with treating type 2 diabetes as a glucose disease
- Low-carb diets help improve type 2 diabetes
- Understanding the personal fat threshold
- Insulin-spiking foods promote the accumulation of fat cells
- The process of leaky fats
- The fat first paradigm
- The difference between brown fat vs. subcutaneous white fat
- Brown fat can be stimulated with cold therapy
- Understanding the differences between visceral fat vs. subcutaneous fat
- Reduce visceral fat by eliminating fruit juice & sugary sodas
- How to measure your waist to hip ratio
- Getting your insulin measured
- Fasting & controlling carbohydrates
- Focus on eating proteins and fats
- The inconvenient truth about animal protein vs. plant protein
- How Ben goes about breaking his fasts
- The magic of fermented foods
- Exercise & insulin
- Supplements & tips to control insulin
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
LMNT <== Get your LMNT Sample Pack for the cost of shipping (5 dollars in the US)
AquaOmega <== 20% off the world’s best omega-3 supplements by using the code ultimate20 at checkout
Dr. Benjamin Bikman – Why We Get Sick (book)
Dr. Benjamin Bikman’s website
Follow Dr. Benjamin Bikman on Instagram
American Diabetes Association
Dr. Jason Fung (books)
Listen to Dr. Jason Fung previously on TUHP (episodes #369 and #380)
Clean Label Project
Dr. Valter Longo on How to Get All the Health Benefits of Fasting Without the Hunger (#442)
Dr. Will Cole on Intuitive Fasting to Recharge Your Metabolism and Renew Your Health (#393)
Dave Asprey – Fast This Way to Burn Fat and Heal Inflammation (#389)
Gary Taubes – Are Carbs Making You Fat? (#387)
294: Dr. Sara Gottfried – Brain Body Diet, Start To Surrender, Reset With Intermittent Fasting
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.