Dr. Andrew Weil (IG: @drweil) received a degree in botany from Harvard and an MD from Harvard Medical School.
He’s the founder and director of the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine. The Center is the leading effort in the world to develop a comprehensive curriculum in integrative medicine.
Dr. Weil is a founder and partner of the growing group of True Food Kitchen restaurants & co-founder of Matcha.com.
He’s an internationally recognized expert on medicinal plants, alternative medicine, and the reform of medical education.
Dr. Weil is the author of many scientific articles and 15 books.
Today we’re going deep into mental health and talking about natural ways to help you if you’re suffering from depression, anxiety or stress.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Dr. Weil’s approach to mental health challenges
- What to eat + what not to eat to beat anxiety & depression
- The 4-7-8 breathing technique for anxiety
- How the gut microbiome affects the vagus nerve
- The benefits of consuming fermented foods
- Dr. Weil’s thoughts on leaky gut + 2 supplements he recommends
- Vagal stimulation techniques
- Learn how to decrease sympathetic activity
- Sunscreen blocks vitamin D synthesis
- Practicing stress management regularly
- The true benefits of social connection for mental health
- Dr. Weil stays curious as he ages
- The potential of psychedelics for chronic pain
- The effect of dance & sound on the mind-body connection
- Feeling connected through psychedelic experiences
- Is it cultural appropriation to take psychedelics in North America?
- Dr. Weil shares the story of the first time he took magic mushrooms
- The evolution of the psychedelic scene over the years
- Dr. Weil’s sleep hygiene tips
- Naturally managing Parkinson’s & Alzheimer’s
Rancho La Puerta – Use the code RLP-UHP and save $250 off your first 7-night visit at Rancho
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Matcha Kari – Save 15% by using the code UHP15 at checkout
Dr. Andrew Weil’s website
Follow Dr. Andrew Weil on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Listen or watch Dr. Andrew Weil previously on TUHP (episodes #295, #366, and #430)
Dr. Andrew Weil (books & more)
Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine
True Food Kitchen
4-7-8 Breathing Exercises
Roland Griffiths, Ph.D.
How to Calm Your Anxiety & Release Stress | Dr. Ellen Vora (#471)
How to Reprogram Your Subconscious Mind to Create Lasting Transformation | Dr. Nicole LePera (#466)
This Is How to Live Longer & Prevent Disease by Fixing Your Gut Health | Tina Anderson (#451)
Nutritional Psychiatrist Reveals Top Foods to Beat Depression and Anxiety | Dr. Drew Ramsey (#424)
Dr. Steven Gundry on Boosting Your Mental and Physical Energy (#404)
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.