Dr. Amy Shah (IG: @fastingmd) has a unique perspective from her combination of nutrition and medical training. She graduated from the renowned school of nutrition at Cornell and then went on to Einstein for medical school.
Amy’s research, internal medicine and allergy/immunology training took her to Harvard then Columbia hospitals. There she discovered her unique skills as a mind body practitioner, but also rediscovered her hate for cold, dark winters. Then in 2010, she and her family relocated to Scottsdale, AZ area.
Amy’s currently making waves as a physician educator, clinician, health entrepreneur and women’s health advocate.
Today we’re discussing her book, I’m So Effing Tired.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why are we so effing tired?
- The rise of obesity, diabetes and heart disease in ethnic groups
- Focusing on a patient centered approach to nutrition
- Stick to the four S’s
- General rules for long-term health
- Why Amy doesn’t follow any of the diet labels
- When Amy’s energy started to deplete
- Wake up… life is spinning out of control
- There are no magic supplements
- 80% of diets fail
- What is circadian fasting?
- Understanding our natural circadian rhythm
- Consuming caffeine 60-120 minutes after you wake up
- Starting your day with a fasted workout
- The ideal circadian rhythm day
- Front load your calories
- Amy recalls her 1st experience with fasting
- Fasting too much turns off hormones
- Coordinating your fasts with your monthly cycle
- How long should you wait to break your fast after working out?
- Consuming 40 calories is still considered fasting
- Amy’s concerns about added saturated fats into meals
- If you are fasting, skip the branch chain amino acids
- Aim for 20 minutes a day of natural light and nature time
- The benefit of sun lamps
- Focus on recovery
- Boundaries are like bumpers
- Creating automatic systems
- Too much caffeine negatively impacts your brain health
LMNT <== Get your LMNT Sample Pack for the cost of shipping (5 dollars in the US)
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
Dr. Amy Shah – I’m So Effing Tired (book)
Dr. Amy Shah’s website
Follow Dr. Amy Shah on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
Satchin Panda – The Circadian Code (book)
Listen to Dr. Satchin Panda previously on TUHP (episode #353)
Intermittent fasting: Live ‘fast,’ live longer? (ScienceDaily article)
Dave Asprey – Fast This Way (book)
Listen to Dave Asprey previously on TUHP (episodes #061, #159, #305 & #389)
Bulletproof – Inner Fuel Prebiotic
Dr. Valter Longo (books)
Joovv (use our link to get a free gift with purchase)
Therapist REVEALS the Secret to HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS | Nedra Glover Tawwab (#429)
Dr. Steven Gundry on Boosting Your Mental and Physical Energy (#404)
Arianna Huffington on Ending Burnout and Increasing Well-Being With Microsteps (#399)
Dr. Will Cole on Intuitive Fasting to Recharge Your Metabolism and Renew Your Health (#393)
369: Dr. Jason Fung – Stop Snacking & Start Fasting
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. If you’d prefer to watch vs listen to the interviews, head over to our YouTube channel and enjoy the full video conversations. Be sure and subscribe while you’re there.
3. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
4. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
5. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
7. Share using the buttons below.