Charlie is the author of Play It Away and Recession-Proof Graduate. He’s spoken at the Pentagon, TEDx, and universities around the world. Charlie is the Head of Podcast & Video for Book in a Box. He lives in Austin, Texas with his wife and two dogs.
Today we’re talking about Charlie’s experience with extreme anxiety and how he cured it primarily through play and switching to a play mindset.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How he coordinated a huge event for Tim Ferriss
- The 1:3 sleep to wake ratio
- Charlie’s slow and steady build to debilitating anxiety
- The various modalities Charlie tried to help relieve his anxiety eg. meditation, supplements, psychedelics, & fasting
- The book that was the tipping point during Charlie’s anxiety recovery
- How play completely cured Charlie of anxiety and depression within a few weeks
- How improv allowed Charlie to embrace what was going on in the moment
- Adopting a play mindset
- Children generally fall into one of 3 categories: secure, avoidant, or anxious
- We can all choose to view the world as a playground and the world tends to respond accordingly
- How to figure out what types of play best suits you
- Start by scheduling in as little as 30 minutes of play a week
- Outdoor sports are one of the best ways to reduce anxiety, especially in men
- Pay to play
- Fitting play into the workday
- It’s ideal to find work that doesn’t feel like work
- Finland has up to 2 hours of recess a day
- Are tracking devices such as Fitbit’s and social media taking away from the play experience?
- The less screen time you get, the happier you’re going to be
- It’s liberating to get rid of stuff – minimalism
- Finding an environment/location that supports your wellbeing
- Start smiling and saying hello to strangers on the street
- Intentional vs. random acts of kindness
- The more sleep you get, the better your work is
- The ultimate cheat in life… a 15-20 minute nap
Perfect Keto <== 20% off Perfect Keto products and they ship worldwide (free shipping in the US)*
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $100*
CoreChair <== Apply the code tuhpcc at checkout for your listener discount (free shipping in North America)*
Charlie Hoehn – Play It Away (book)*
Charlie Hoehn – Play For A Living (book)
Charlie Hoehn – Recession Proof Graduate (book)*
Charlie Hoehn’s website
Author Hour with Charlie Hoehn (podcast)
Stuart Brown – Play (book)*
Tim Ferriss – The 4-Hour Chef (book)*
The Five-Minute Journal*
Trophy Kids (documentary)*
Move – Daily activity to stay healthy (iOS app)*
Napoleon Hill – Outwitting the Devil (book)*
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on iTunes, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Play Music. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Our favourite social media platform is Instagram. Follow our adventures.
5. Download our Habits app for iOS. You choose the healthy habits you want to implement and maintain and our app will help keep you on track. Download Habits app*.
6. Share using the buttons below.