Cal Newport is an associate professor of computer science at Georgetown University. He’s also a writer who focuses on the impact of technology on society.
Cal is the author of six books, including, most recently, the New York Times bestseller, Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World.
You won’t find Cal on social media but he’s been blogging at calnewport.com for over a decade.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why Cal has avoided social media all these years
- How the Facebook “like” button changed social media
- What is web 2.0?
- Stop socializing on social media
- Breaking the compulsion cycle
- Why growing your email list is important
- Digital Minimalism defined
- The digital declutter experiment
- Why the younger generation struggles more without screen time
- Planning analog time vs. digital time
- Create time for solitude
- The ritual of journaling
- How the Amish evaluate community needs
- Be intentional when using technology
- Use social media like a professional
- Approaching Instagram in a healthy way
- The key idea of minimalism
- Don’t give adolescents a smartphone
- Anxiety on the rise in adolescents
- The evolution of smartphones
- Dumbing down your smartphone
Sproos <== 10% off all Sproos products & free shipping on orders over $40
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products (free shipping in the US)
Sunwarrior <== 20% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $50 (US only)
278: Robin Sharma – The 5 AM Club • Mastery Is A Process • The Power Of Solitude
274: Ryder Carroll – The Bullet Journal Method • Declutter Your Mind • Avoid The Perfectionism Trap
252: Srinivas Rao – Creating For An Audience Of One • Creativity Leads To Happiness • Cognitive Bandwidth
250: Greg McKeown – Essentialism • The Joy of Missing Out (JOMO) • The Cost of Saying Yes
227: Andy Couturier – The Abundance Of Less • Enjoying The Process • Thinking For Yourself
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.