Cal Newport is an associate professor of computer science at Georgetown University, where he specializes in the theory of distributed systems, as well as a New York Times bestselling author who writes for a broader audience about the intersection of technology and culture.
Cal’s also a regular contributor on these topics to national publications such as The New Yorker, The New York Times, and Wired, and is a frequent guest on NPR.
His blog, Study Hacks, which he’s been publishing since 2007, attracts over three million visits a year and his podcast, Deep Questions with Cal Newport, has just surpassed 1 million downloads after launching in May 2020.
Today we’re discussing topics from Cal’s latest book, A World Without Email.
Watch the full video version of this conversation below.
In this episode, we discuss:
- A world without email
- The importance of undistracted focus
- The history of email
- What is the hyperactive hive mind?
- The influence of smartphones on email response times
- Solve the problem by fixing the processes
- Clarity trumps accessibility
- Knowledge work is different than industrial work
- When the hive mind style of interaction works
- Process redesign is a pain in the short-term but worth it in the long-term
- The older model of doing less
- The artificial way of collaborating
- It’s a cognitive catastrophe to check your inbox & Slack every 5-6 minutes
- Set up a communication protocol
- The misinterpretation of email communication
- How to resolve inbox ping-pong
- Email filters vs. email autoresponders
- Overhaul your email inbox
- How to deal with non-interactive emails
- Email addresses should be tied to a function not an individual
- Setting boundaries for responding to emails
- It’s the workflow, not the inbox
- Cal’s recommendations for scheduling software
- The future of communication & productivity
BLUblox <== 15% off the world’s most advanced blue light glasses
Paleovalley <== 15% off all Paleovalley products by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
Cal Newport – A World Without Email (book)
Cal Newport’s website
Cal Newport – Digital Minimalism (book)
Cal Newport – Deep Work (book)
Cal Newport (books)
Deep Questions with Cal Newport (podcast)
Listen to Cal Newport previously on TUHP (episode #286)
Leslie Perlow – Sleeping With Your Smartphone (book)
Tim Ferriss (books)
Merlin Mann – Inbox Zero
Cal Newport – Slack Is The Right Tool For The Wrong Way To Work (The New Yorker article)
Peter Drucker (books)
David Allen (books)
Dave Ramsey (books)
OnceHub (Schedule Once)
355: Celeste Headlee – Break Away From Overworking, Overdoing, & Underliving
318: Michael Hyatt – Achieve More By Doing Less, Work Productivity Hacks, The Power Of Constraints
298: Kate Northrup – Do Less, Surrender Your Control, Yoga Nidra
250: Greg McKeown – Essentialism • The Joy of Missing Out (JOMO) • The Cost of Saying Yes
097: John Lee Dumas – A Solid Morning Routine Begins The Night Before • Don’t Fall Prey To Imposter Syndrome • Setting and accomplishing BIG goals
Cal Newport photo credit: Penny Gray Photography
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.