Dubbed “The Mother of the Zero Waste lifestyle movement” by CNN, Bea has been featured on TV shows and in publications all over the world.
She shatters misconceptions, proving that zero waste can not only be stylish, but also lead to significant health benefits and time & money savings.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Bea moving from France to California to learn English
- Traveling around the world with her husband Scott
- Learning how to live with less
- 5 rules to get to zero waste
- Refuse what you do not need
- Strategies for minimizing junk mail
- Removing toxic products and replacing them with clean options
- Zero waste, a life based on experiences instead of stuff
- Change is in the consumers hands
- Financial savings increase when consumption goes down
- Swap disposable items for reusable alternatives
- Raising kids zero waste becomes automatic
- How to get kids/teenagers involved in making changes
- Giving gifts that create memories
- Subscription to SFAs = Secret Family Activities
- Bea’s journey to zero waste started in 2006
- Shattering the misconceptions around the zero waste lifestyle
- Bea’s failed zero waste experiments
- Learning to accept what you have
- Zero waste is about recycling less
- The truth about recycling
- Composting your scraps
- Does your garbage really decompose in the landfill?
- Be part of the solution
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products (free shipping in the US)
Organifi <== 20% off all Organifi products
Thrive Market <== As a new Thrive customer you get 25% off your order ($20 max) and a free 30-day membership
Joovv <== purchase a Joovv device using our link and receive a free gift
Bea Johnson – Zero Waste Home (book)
Bea Johnson’s website (Zero Waste Home)
Follow Bea Johnson (Zero Waste Home) on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube
Opt Out Prescreen – Credit Cards (US only)
DMAchoice – Direct Mailing List
Catalog Choice – Cancel A Catalog
Junk mail war: still on! (blogpost from Zero Waste Home)
Little House On The Prairie (Apple TV & books)
Rick Smith – Slow Death By Rubber Duck (book)
Michelle Slatalla – A Visit From the Priestess of Waste-Free Living (New York Times article)
Edward Humes – Garbology (book)
Zero Waste Dog – or Rat (blogpost from Zero Waste Home)
307: Elizabeth Willard Thames aka Mrs. Frugalwoods – Financial Independence Through Simple Living
271: Focus Friday – Managing Waste
268: Sarah Wilson – Zero Waste Cooking • Minimal Consumption • Start Thinking Differently
227: Andy Couturier – The Abundance Of Less • Enjoying The Process • Thinking For Yourself
132: Ryan Nicodemus – The Minimalists • Gift Giving… The Healthy Way • Give Yourself A Pay Raise By Spending Less
Bea Johnson photo credit: Jacqui J. Sze
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.