Today we are speaking with functional nutritionist, Andrea Nakayama. Through the power of the internet, Andrea has worked with thousands of clients from around the globe.
She emphasizes that we must look for the root of the condition and there is no one-size-fits-all approach, as we are all unique.
She is an expert when it comes to whole food nutrition, autoimmune conditions, inflammation and gut health.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Andrea’s journey to becoming a leader in the current health movement
- Andrea’s Hashimoto’s diagnosis and how she manages it naturally
- The 3 components of all autoimmune conditions (genetic predisposition, leaky gut & gut microbiota imbalance)
- Autoimmune conditions aren’t cured but are managed
- Functional medicine gets to the root of the condition
- We are all genetically diverse
- The top 3 inflammatory foods – gluten, refined sugar & dairy
- Quality matters… when it comes to all foods
- Are eggs considered a health food?
- Health starts in the gut
- The digestive system is like a donut
- We are not what we eat but what we assimilate
- A protocol for repairing the gut
- The best probiotic supplement
- How to test your probiotic supplements, at home
- Food first, supplements second
- The perfect poop
- The four signature supplements most people need
- The iodine controversy
- Getting the proper balance of omega-3 to omega-6 EFAs
- Cold drinks can impede our digestive fires
- Digestion starts well before the food enters your mouth
- Andrea’s morning and evening routines
- Sleep is critical for thriving health
- Andrea’s elixir ingredients
Holistic Nutrition Lab – Andrea’s website
Replenish pdx website
Food Mood Poop Journal
Follow Andrea Nakayama on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
Dr. Mark Hyman
Dr. David Perlmutter
Native Forest (product)
Natural Value (products)
Klaire Labs probiotics
026: We Love Fermented Foods! (minicast)
Eden Foods (products)
Bristol Stool Scale
Vital Nutrients fish oil (supplements)
Ascenta NutraVege Plant Sourced Omega 3
Ricki Heller & Andrea Nakayama – Living Candida-Free (book)
214: Dr. Mark Hyman – What The Heck Should I Eat? • Ketogenic Diet Hype • Meat As A Condiment
084: Dr. Mark Hyman – Saturated Fat Isn’t The Enemy | Eat Fat, Get Thin | Stop Fearing Cholesterol
074: Dr. Mark Hyman – Create An Emergency Food Pack | The Pegan Diet | Sugar Is The New Fat
273: Dr. David Perlmutter – Grain Brain • Cholesterol Is Your Friend • What Is Keto Cycling?
019: Ricki Heller – Managing Candida Overgrowth, Safe Sweeteners, Self Testing At Home
Note: Some of the links above are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Podcasts. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook community (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Follow our adventures on our favourite social media platform, Instagram.
6. Share using the buttons below.