Sarah Ballantyne, Ph.D. (IG: @thepaleomom) is the creator of the award-winning blog The Paleo Mom, cohost of the top-rated and syndicated The Paleo View podcast, and New York Times bestselling author of four books: the most comprehensive paleo guidebook to date, Paleo Principles*; the definitive Autoimmune Protocol guidebook, The Paleo Approach*; and two AIP cookbooks, The Paleo Approach Cookbook* and The Healing Kitchen*.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is a thyroid gland?
- The difference between hyper and hypothyroid diseases
- Hashimoto’s is the most common of all autoimmune diseases
- Pregnancy complications are higher in women with hypothyroidism
- Understanding the link between immune function, diet, and lifestyle
- Why taking a more comprehensive & holistic approach is essential
- What is the autoimmune protocol (AIP)?
- Lab ranges vs. functional ranges for thyroid hormone levels
- Importance of advocating for a full thyroid panel
- The role of a functional medicine specialist
- Sarah’s 3 1/2 year journey to being symptom-free
- Small changes make the biggest difference
- What is an autoimmune flare up?
- Why ketogenic diets should be avoided
- Overview of AIP
- 80% of our immune system is in the gut
- The significance of iodine, selenium, zinc, & iron on AIP
- About 73% of people are deficient in zinc
- Reintroductions are an important aspect of the AIP protocol
- How elimination and challenge diets are constructed
- Empowering people with knowledge
- Sarah’s AIP journey
- How AIP began
- The role nutrients play in immune health
- The problem with food sensitivity testing
- Elimination diets are the gold standard in testing
- Fish & shellfish are high in zinc, selenium, & iron
- The cruciferous vegetable myth
Thrive Market <== As a new customer you get a free 30-day membership, 25% off your order, and free shipping (US only)*
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products and they ship worldwide (free shipping in the US)*
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $100
Sarah Ballantyne – Paleo Principles (book)*
The Paleo Mom (Sarah’s website)
The Paleo View (Sarah’s podcast)
Follow Sarah on Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter
Sarah Ballantyne – The Paleo Approach (book)*
Sarah Ballantyne – The Paleo Approach Cookbook*
Alaena Haber & Sarah Ballantyne – The Healing Kitchen (cookbook)*
Listen to Sarah Ballantyne previously on TUHP (episode #220)
AIP Lecture Series Online Program <==$100 off the course by using the code ultimatehealth at checkout
Robb Wolf – The Paleo Solution (book)*
Listen to Robb Wolf previously on TUHP (episode #145)
Dr. Loren Cordain – The Paleo Diet
Dr. Terry Wahls – Minding Your Mitrochrondria TedxIowaCity (video)
Listen to Dr. Terry Wahls previously on TUHP (episode #120)
Healing & Dealing With Hashi’s (Marni’s 4 week Hashimoto’s course)
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Our favourite social media platform is Instagram. Follow our adventures.
5. Share using the buttons below.