Michelle Gielan is a national CBS News anchor turned positive psychology researcher and the bestselling author of Broadcasting Happiness. She is the Founder of the Institute for Applied Positive Research and holds a Master of Applied Positive Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania.
Michelle is an Executive Producer of “The Happiness Advantage” Special on PBS and a featured professor in Oprah’s Happiness course. Her research and advice have received attention from The New York Times, Washington Post, Forbes, CNN, Fox, and Harvard Business Review.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How Michelle saw another light and left her job as a news anchor at CBS
- Her biggest takeaway from working at CBS
- Why are people so drawn to negative news?
- Negative news in the morning can lead to you having a bad day
- Our brains are threat focused
- Staying informed but not being prey to negative news
- The 21 day positive email challenge
- Michelle’s morning routine
- The upsides of positive news
- We are all broadcasters
- Overcoming our negativity bias
- Fact checking our story
- Don’t ignore reality… it’s about being rationally optimistic
- See stress as a challenge instead of a threat
- Stress: see it, own it, use it
- Social support… the greatest predictor of happiness that exists
- It might be time for a strategic retreat
- Positive sources of information and being around positive people leads to better health
- Power leads: start conversations with something positive and meaningful
- Using power leads in emails, too
- What is transformative journalism?
- Michelle’s last broadcast at CBS
Michelle Gielan – Broadcasting Happiness (book)*
Michelle Gielan’s website
Like Michelle on Facebook and follow her on Twitter
Inspire Happiness – Michelle’s PBS Program
The Success Scale – Broadcasting Happiness
Listen to Arianna Huffington previously on TUHP (episode #107)
Solutions Journalism Network
Thich Nhat Hanh books*
Jon Kabat-Zinn books*
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on iTunes, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Play Music. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Our favourite social media platform is Instagram. Follow our adventures.
5. Download our Habits app for iOS. You choose the healthy habits you want to implement and maintain and our app will help keep you on track. Download Habits app.
6. Share using the buttons below.