This week, we have Dr. Mark Hyman back on the show for round 2. We talk about the subject of his new book, Eat Fat, Get Thin. This book shatters the old paradigm that had us fearing the consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol. It’s time we stop fearing fat.
Mark is a 9 time #1 New York Times bestselling author who is on a mission to transform healthcare. He tackles the root causes of chronic illness through functional medicine. Mark is a practicing family physician and an internationally recognized leader in his field.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The only 2 cholesterol tests that matter
- Saturated fat isn’t the enemy
- Saturated fat mixed with sugar or refined carbs is the problem… sweet fat
- We need to start using statin drugs intelligently
- Eating fat speeds up your metabolism
- Mark’s evolution from being chubby in his early thirties to fit at 56
- How can we get people to stop fearing fat?
- Your body is the best doctor in the room
- Curb your cravings with fat
- Sugar is more addictive than cocaine
- Carbohydrate intolerance, what is it?
- FLC Syndrome, do you feel like crap?
- Nutritionism has gotten us into a lot of trouble
- Be smart about buying packaged foods
- A low-fat vegan diet isn’t the answer
- Meat should be eaten as a condiment
- Yes vegans and vegetarians can get enough fat from their diets
- We’ve been brainwashed by doctors and the media to think that cholesterol is bad
- Should we consider butter, coconut oil, and palm oil health foods?
- There are two types of LDL, the so-called bad cholesterol
- Boost your brain and metabolism with MCT oil
- Coconut oil vs. palm oil
- Vegan and paleo diets are very similar, overall
Links to things we mentioned:
Dr. Mark Hyman’s website
Dr. Mark Hyman – Eat Fat, Get Thin (book)* and Q&A video
Dr. Mark Hyman – The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet (book)*
Dr. Mark Hyman – Got Proof? Lack of Evidence for Milk’s Benefits (blog post)
The Fat Summit hosted by Dr. Mark Hyman
Listen to Mark’s previous interview on TUHP (episode #74)
Dr. Ronald Krauss
LabCorp NMR LipoProfile
Quest Diagnostics – The Cardio IQ Report
Dr. Assem Malhotra – Saturated fat is not the major issue (BMJ)
Dr. David Ludwig
Dave Asprey on TUHP (episode #61)
Dr. David Jenkins
Nutiva Red Palm Oil*
Candle 79 restaurant (NYC)
Green Zebra Cafe (Florida)
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free shipping over $100)*
TUHP Facebook group
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast.
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later.
3. Share using the buttons below.