This week, we are speaking with biomechanist, Katy Bowman. She is the author of Move Your DNA and has a podcast of her own, Katy Says. Katy’s thesis is to differentiate exercise and movement, she refers to movement as nutrition for our bodies.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The road to becoming a biomechanist
- Movement vs. exercise
- Active people are typically sedentary outside their exercise time
- Movement is a form of nutrition
- Transitioning to minimalistic footwear
- Where we are with movement now is where we were with nutrition 100 years ago
- Your body evolves to its environment, for better or worse
- As humans, we like to segment the body and look at individual parts
- Minimalistic shoes – top brands
- Consider going furniture free or using your couch less
- Furniture is like junk food
- Have better bowel movements by using a Squatty Potty + why it works
- Anything that limits the full use of your body is a cast
- An orca whale’s dorsal fin flops over in captivity due to its environment (a cast)
- Humans in the 21st century, what are our folded fins?
- Anatomy and physiology textbooks represent sedentary human beings
- The healthiest parts of your skin are the calluses
- Pillows and mattresses weaken your body
- Standing all day at work, isn’t the answer
Links to things we mentioned:
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free shipping over $100)
Join The Ultimate Health Podcast Facebook Community
Katy Bowman’s website
Follow Katy on Facebook (Nutritious Movement)
Katy Bowman – Move Your DNA (book)
Shoes: The List (minimalistic footwear options)
Shoes: The (Winter) List (minimalistic footwear options)
Katy Says – Episode 29: The Skin Show (iTunes)
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later.
3. Share using the buttons below.