Dr. Sylvia Tara holds a PhD in biochemistry from the University of California at San Diego and an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. She’s the author of The Secret Life of Fat and blogs at Science to Live By.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Sylvia’s story and how her body is really good at holding onto fat
- Why does fat stick more to some people compared to others?
- Bacteria can impact your waistline
- The functions of fat in our bodies
- Fat is an organ
- Gaining extra weight could permanently alter your metabolism
- Is body fat percentage a useful measurement?
- Women naturally store more fat then men do
- The 3 types of fat – brown, beige, and white fat
- Convert beige fat to brown fat through exercise and cold exposure
- Visceral fat… the dangerous type of fat
- Sumo wrestlers are fit but fat
- An easy way to test for visceral fat, at home
- We get fatter as we get older due to hormonal changes
- The gut-fat connection
- Change your microbiome for the better by eating more fruits and vegetables
- Boost your release of growth hormone with intermittent fasting
- How Sylvia eats throughout the day
- Women tie emotions to food more then men do
- Eating fat and carbs together will put more fat on your body
- Different people can have a different blood sugar response to the same food
- Building up your self control muscle
- Sylvia’s message to the person out there who is struggling to maintain a healthy body weight
CoreChair <== 10% off your CoreChair purchase – Apply the code tuhpcc at checkout (free shipping in North America)*
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free shipping over $100)*
Follow TUHP on Instagram
Join our Facebook Community
Download our Habits app*
Dr. Sylvia Tara – The Secret Life of Fat (book)*
Follow Dr. Sylvia Tara on Facebook and Twitter
Dr. Sylvia Tara’s blog – Science to Live By
Barry Sears – Enter The Zone (book)*
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on iTunes, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Play Music. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community here.
4. Download our Habits app for iOS. You choose the healthy habits you want to implement and maintain and our app will help keep you on track. Download Habits app here.
5. Share using the buttons below.