This week’s guest is paediatric dentist and biochemist, Dr. Roger Lucas. He is leading the movement for a practical, diet-first approach to cavity prevention. Roger is the author of More Chocolate, No Cavities: How Diet Can Keep Your Kid Cavity-Free.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Diet alone can prevent 100% of cavities
- Carbs are the starting point of all cavities
- Dry fruit leads to more cavities over fresh
- Carbs convert to lactic acid which wears away your tooth enamel
- Although juice can be nutritious, it can also be problematic for your teeth
- Certain foods have an affinity to stick to your teeth
- It takes repeated exposure to turn your kids onto new foods
- Strategies to get your kids eating their veggies
- Sipping water after a carb heavy meal
- Are cavities reversible?
- Surprise cavities aka cavities between the teeth
- Do cavities in baby teeth matter?
- We need to stop blaming genetics for our poor oral health
- A number of foods that won’t cause cavities
- Jesse needed 13 fillings from eating too much fruit
- Is lemon water bad for your teeth?
- Fluoride, pros vs. cons
- Vitamin D supplementation and sunlight both reduce cavities
- 2 reasons xylitol gum helps prevent cavities
- Preventing cavities with chocolate?!?
Links to things we mentioned:
Dr. Roger Lucas’ website
Dr. Roger Lucas – More Chocolate, No Cavities: How Diet Can Keep Your Kid Cavity-Free (book)
Dr. Roger Lucas’ Diet Based Tooth Snack Guide
Dr. Mark Hyman on TUHP (episode #84 & episode #74)
Christopher Bryson & Theo Colborn – The Fluoride Deception (book)*
Spry xylitol gum
Epic xylitol gum
Stephen Covey – The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (book)*
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free shipping over $100)*
TUHP Facebook group
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast.
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later.
3. Share using the buttons below.