On this week’s show, we are speaking with bestselling author, Dr. Robynne Chutkan. She is a leading gastroenterologist who strives to highlight the importance of nutrition, exercise, and leisure to her patients.
In 2004, Dr. Chutkan founded the Digestive Center for Women, an integrative gastroenterology practice. She makes regular appearances on Dr. Oz and has been a featured expert on The Today Show and The Doctors. Dr. Chutkan’s first book is titled Gutbliss (2013) and she recently released The Mircobiome Solution (2015).
In this episode, we discuss:
- What is your microbiome?
- Microbes (in & on our bodies) outnumber us 10 to 1
- As society becomes more sanitized, we’re seeing more people with autoimmune diseases
- Our microbiome breaks down food & toxins, makes vitamins (eg. vitamin K), synthesizes hormones & neurotransmitters, and turns genes on + off
- The benefits of a vaginal birth over getting a c-section
- Formula fed babies end up with pretty serious microbial abnormalities
- A simple technique to colonize a baby post c-section
- Baby formula doesn’t come close to breast milk in terms of nutrition
- Antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers are damaging your microbiome and making you sick
- A simple tactic to help prevent colds and the flu
- Play in the dirt, build a healthy microbiome
- Having pets is good for you and your children
- Chlorine in you water (shower & drinking) is harming your microbiome
- Questions to ask your doctor before taking antibiotics
- A number of prebiotic foods that feed your healthy gut bacteria
- What to look for when buying a probiotic
- The positive and negative sides of stool transplants
- Solutions to reduce gas and bloating
- People with depression and anxiety have abnormalities in their microbiome
- Don’t ever take antibiotics for acne
- As cities grow, rates of asthma increase
Links to things we mentioned:
Habits app for iOS
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free shipping over $100)
Dr. Robynne Chutkan’s website (Gutbliss)
Dr. Robynne Chutkan – The Mircobiome Solution (book)
Dr. Robynne Chutkan – Gutbliss (book)
Goji’s Instagram account (our new puppy)
Greenhouse Juice Co. (Toronto)
Dr. Martin Blaser – Missing Microbes (book)
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later.
3. Share using the buttons below.