Dr. Michael Breus (The Sleep Doctor) is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He was one of the youngest people to have passed the Board at age 31 and, with a specialty in Sleep Disorders, is one of only 163 psychologists in the world with his credentials and distinction.
Dr. Breus is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and appears regularly on the show. He’s been interviewed on CNN, Oprah, The View, Anderson Cooper, and The Today Show.
Dr. Breus is the author of 3 books, Good Night, The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan, and his latest, The Power of When which focuses on sleeping to your individual sleep schedule.
For over 14 years Dr. Breus has served as the Sleep Expert for WebMD. He’s been in private practice for 16 years which was recently relocated to LA.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The mystery of sleep
- How caffeine “energizes” you
- Sleeping between 10pm and 2am DOESN’T count for double the sleep hours
- What is your chronotype?
- Can we change our chronotype or are we locked in for life?
- The best time to have sex
- Melatonin is a sleep regulator and not a sleep initiator
- The Sleep Doctor’s love for magnesium!
- A banana tea recipe that will improve your sleep
- Is 5-HTP a useful sleep supplement?
- Sleep deprivation, how does it harm you?
- 5 steps for sleeping better
- Consistency of your sleep schedule is everything… this includes weekends
- How sleep is like a baseball game
- Why coffee shouldn’t be the first liquid you consume in the morning
- Alcohol can prevent you from getting into the deeper stages of sleep
- The #1 way to improve the quality of your sleep
- The importance of 15 minutes of sunlight first thing in the morning
- Dr. Breus’ current evening/nighttime routine
- The best pillow and mattress
- How often should you replace your mattress?
- Never go to bed hungry
- Are saunas, ice baths, or hot showers helpful before sleep?
- Dreams and nightmares, what are they?
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products (free shipping over $100)*
Dr. Michael Breus’ website – The Sleep Doctor
Dr. Michael Breus – The Power of When (book)*
Dr. Michael Breus – The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan (book)*
Dr. Michael Breus – Good Night (book)*
Dr. Michael Breus’ free ebooks (including Dreams)
The Power of When quiz – find out your chronotype
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast.
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on iTunes, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Play Music. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community here.
4. Download our Habits app for iOS. You choose the healthy habits you want to implement and maintain and our app will help keep you on track. Download Habits app here.
5. Share using the buttons below.