Dr. Mark Hyman is a practicing family physician, a ten-time #1 New York Times bestselling author, and an internationally recognized leader, speaker, educator, & advocate in his field. He is the director of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine. Mark is also the founder and medical director of the UltraWellness Center.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Why we’re so confused about what to eat
- Why do health experts often have such contrasting opinions?
- What’s the science say about consuming meat?
- Blood avocados?!?
- There’s never been a voluntary vegan society in the history of humanity
- Why grass-fed meat is better
- Animals have to be part of the agriculture cycle to restore the soil
- You might be a vegetarian but your broccoli is actually a carnivore
- Thinking of meat as a condiment
- Organ meats are a great health food
- How we cook really matters
- Cholesterol is no longer a bad guy
- “What The Health” is a flawed documentary
- What to look for on the label of eggs
- Milk can lead to acne
- Fish are being intentionally mislabelled (scary!)
- The benefits of frozen fruit vs fresh
- Pick the fruits that are lower in sugar
- What are the fat fruits?
- Veggies you should always buy organic
- The hype around the ketogenic diet
- An MCT/coconut oil biohack that creates low-level ketosis
- Are beans a good protein solution?
- There’s no such thing as essential carbohydrates
- Eating oatmeal creates a stress response in the body
- Stop drinking liquid calories, except…
Four Sigmatic <== 10% off all Four Sigmatic products & free shipping over $100*
Perfect Keto <== 20% off all Perfect Keto products and they ship worldwide (free shipping in the US)*
Thrive Market <== As a new customer you get a free 30-day membership, 25% off your order, and free shipping (US only)*
Dr. Mark Hyman – Food: What The Heck Should I Eat? (book)*
Mark Hyman’s website
Dr. Mark Hyman – Eat Fat, Get Thin (book)*
Got Proof? Lack of Evidence for Milk’s Benefits (Mark’s blog post)
Dances With Wolves (movie)*
Listen to Dr. Neal Barnard previously on TUHP (episode #121)
Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Listen to Dr. Dom D’Agostino previously on TUHP (episode #133)
Listen to Leanne Vogel previously on TUHP (episode #174)
Listen to Mark Sisson previously on TUHP (episode #178)
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on Apple Podcasts, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Play Music. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Our favourite social media platform is Instagram. Follow our adventures.
5. Download our Habits app for iOS. You choose the healthy habits you want to implement and maintain and our app will help keep you on track. Download Habits app*.
6. Share using the buttons below.