Dan Buettner is a National Geographic Fellow and multiple New York Times bestselling author. He’s discovered the five places in the world – dubbed “Blue Zones” – where people live the longest, and are healthiest. Dan’s TED Talk “How to live to be 100+” has been viewed over 3 million times.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What are the Blue Zones and where are they located?
- How did the name Blue Zones come to be?
- Lower your cortisol and chances of suffering from heart disease by taking a nap
- The four food pillars across the Blue Zones
- The longest lived family had a slice or two of sourdough bread daily as part of lunch
- Consider stopping eating when you’re 80 percent full
- 4 foods you should always have on hand and 4 foods you should never have on hand
- People in 4 out of the 5 of the Blue Zones consume wine
- The importance of picking your friends carefully and investing in them
- Volunteering leads to higher levels of life satisfaction
- Changing our perspective on the aging population and retirement
- Setting up an area of your home to downshift
- 45 minutes of TV a day is linked to optimal life satisfaction
- Why you might want to consider the bus over driving to work
- Dan’s morning routine
- Finding an exercise you love to do and sticking to it
- Becoming friends with a vegetarian
Thrive Market <== As a new customer you get a free 30-day membership, 25% off your first order, and free shipping (US only)*
Kettle & Fire Bone Broth <== 20% off Kettle & Fire bone broth & free shipping (US only)*
Raw Elements <== 10% off all Raw Elements products – Apply the code TUHP at checkout (free shipping over $100)*
Sunwarrior <== 10% off all Sunwarrior products & free shipping over $100*
Dan Buettner – The Blue Zones Solution (book)*
Dan Buettner – The Blue Zones (book)*
Dan Buettner – Thrive: Finding Happiness the Blue Zones Way (book)*
Dan Buettner’s website – Blue Zones
Follow Blue Zones on Facebook & Twitter
Note: Links marked with an asterisk (*) are affiliate links. Making a purchase through these links won’t cost you anything but we will receive a small commission. This is an easy, free way of supporting the podcast. Thank you!
How can you support our podcast?
1. Apple users, please subscribe and review our show on iTunes, we make sure to read them all. Android users, be sure to subscribe to our show on Google Play Music. Subscribers never miss any of the action 😉
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later. You can use the envelope button below to email a friend or tell them about TUHP in person.
3. Join TUHP Facebook group (FREE). This is where we all stay in touch and ask questions in between episodes. Join our community.
4. Our favourite social media platform is Instagram. Follow our adventures.
5. Download our Habits app for iOS. You choose the healthy habits you want to implement and maintain and our app will help keep you on track. Download Habits app*.
6. Share using the buttons below.