Today we are speaking with functional nutritionist, Andrea Nakayama. Through the power of the internet, Andrea has worked with thousands of clients from around the globe.
She emphasizes that we must look for the root of the condition and there is no one-size-fits-all approach, as we are all unique.
She is an expert when it comes to whole food nutrition, autoimmune conditions, inflammation and gut health.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Andrea’s journey to becoming a leader in the current health movement
- Andrea’s Hashimoto’s diagnosis and how she manages it naturally
- The 3 components of all autoimmune conditions (genetic predisposition, leaky gut & gut microbiota imbalance)
- Autoimmune conditions aren’t cured but are managed
- Functional medicine gets to the root of the condition
- We are all genetically diverse
- The top 3 inflammatory foods – gluten, refined sugar & dairy
- Quality matters… when it comes to all foods
- Are eggs considered a health food?
- Health starts in the gut
- The digestive system is like a donut
- We are not what we eat but what we assimilate
- A protocol for repairing the gut
- The best probiotic supplement
- How to test your probiotic supplements, at home
- Food first, supplements second
- The perfect poop
- The four signature supplements most people need
- The iodine controversy
- Getting the proper balance of omega-3 to omega-6 EFAs
- Cold drinks can impede our digestive fires
- Digestion starts well before the food enters your mouth
- Andrea’s morning and evening routines
- Sleep is critical for thriving health
- Andrea’s elixir ingredients
Links to things we mentioned:
Holistic Nutrition Lab
Replenish pdx website
Food Mood Poop Journal
Dr. Mark Hyman
Dr. David Perlmutter
Klaire Labs probiotics
026: We Love Fermented Foods! (minicast)
Bristol Stool Scale
Vital Nutrients fish oil
Ascenta NutraVege Plant Sourced Omega 3
Living Candida-Free (book)
How can you support our podcast?
2. Tell a friend about The Ultimate Health Podcast. They will surely thank you later.
3. Share using the buttons below.